Online courses and learning are becoming much more popular with both children and adults as technology is constantly evolving to make the online learning experience just as effective as any in-person class.
Whether you're studying Latin or Photography, Singing or Business or anything in between, you're likely to find a plethora of online teachers ready for their new student.
Of course, English lessons are no different. More and more TEFL teachers are turning to the Internet to find new students from across the globe.
There are tutors who specialise in exam preparation or essay writing for tests like IESTS, others who teach business English classes for adults whose work requires English, and others still who just offer conversation classes.
Benefits of taking online TEFL lessons
Some students may question whether these types of classes can really be effective, so let's look at some of the many advantages of classes with an ESL online tutor:
- Flexibility of lessons: Easily the most convenient part of online ESL tutoring is the flexibility for both the student and tutor. You don't have to waste time driving between your job and school for lessons, you can simply log on for your hour of class, learn something new and then log off! Imagine the hours of time you can save!
- Use interesting online resources: This type of English tutoring allows teachers to integrate new technology into their teaching methods, which can be very effective for creating an exciting learning experience for the student, both adults and children. You might even be able to use some of this online content for self-study.
- A more affordable price: The biggest draw for most students is the low price that most tutors offer for online lessons. They might even offer special discounts, like a free lesson after a certain amount of hours.
- Recording lessons: Many new education apps like Zoom even provide the ability to record lessons, meaning that you can go back and listen again if you find a piece of work you're not sure about, or miss a class because of your job or other study.
Where to contact your perfect tutor for TEFL lessons
Superprof is a great easy-to-use online tuition platform that can link you to tutors both native and non-native speakers of English, online and in person.
The founders wanted to make it easier for students to find the teacher that would offer them the best learning experience to fit their needs, whether that be learning English from the beginning, or preparing for an advanced writing exam.
The best thing about this website is that it's easy to read and find all of the important information about a tutor and their teaching style. On each profile you'll find info about:
- Teaching experience and methodology
- Education background
- Rate per hour of class
- Location of classes
- Reviews from past students
Having quick, free access to this information helps students to avoid spending hours searching for the right tutor. It's important to read everything on the profile and choose the tutor that will suit your needs best.
For example, if you're an international student who needs to prepare for the IELTS exam, try to find a tutor who has experience teaching academic reading and writing skills.
When you've found the right tutor for the job, then you can contact them easily with the click of a button.
You can start with English lessons, but you'll find there are tutors offering classes at a great price rate in so many different subjects (more than 1000), that your might even decide to try something else.
It's so useful, that over the years more than 15,000,000 tutors and countless students have found the best tutor for classes in a range of subjects, most with stellar reviews!
Whether you need to improve your conversation skills or learn English for work in a native English speaking location like Melbourne or Sydney, you're sure to find a first-rate tutor with Superprof.
Another useful option is English Online, an online platform run by the British Council that offers live, online classes with expert teachers.
The website gives students the possibility of attending an English course online in a virtual classroom. There are live video and audio feeds that allow students to contact their teacher quickly.
Being in a classroom with others makes English Online a little closer to a 'normal school experience', as you're able to interact with each other, which can be really fun, especially for adults.
You're also able to write your answers and share ideas related to different topics with a forum of tutors and students. In this way, you can get in contact with other learners from around the world and work on writing skills.
The teachers will also offer you access to different British Council apps, and recommendations for other great phone apps for learning English.
You can also join a business English specific course, or classes for other skills, such as travel or conversation.
Unlike Superprof however, this service is not free. Each course has its own price rate, based on the hours per month. They start at $99 per month and go anywhere up to $200 per month.
Improve with English lessons on Superprof.
EF English Live
EF, or Education First, is a company that first became popular as an organiser of study abroad English programs across the world.
While that is still their main function, they've added online English learning services as well, which are used by thousands of TEFL students from Sydney to Hong Kong.
You can choose from private and group classes, depending on your needs. Other students in your group will have similar level skills, and you can interact with each other to improve conversation skills in a fun way.
There are hundreds of hours of pre-recorded lessons and materials as well, which you can access at your own pace to work on reading, writing, listening and speaking skills outside of class times.
There are 16 levels to complete, which are aligned with the CEFR framework, and cater for beginner to advanced students and students will receive a certificate at each level.
There are thousands of teachers who are all either native speakers, or bilingual teachers who have a highly fluent level. Each is professionally certified (generally TEFL) and has the training and job experience to help you learn in an online environment.
The price for a classic course is around $55 dollars per month, which includes up to 8 live classes per month, plus access to a huge degree of other online materials.
There are also custom options, where you can add more or fewer classes per month, and have them specialised to meet your needs, such as work-specific skills or exam preparation.
Find more English speaking course here on tutor.
Other useful online resources for learning English
Of course, classes are not the only way to learn and consolidate your language skills, whether you're a brand new student, or you've been learning English for years.
From podcasts for learning English to vocabulary games, there's never been a better time to study this language. You can find a range of resources across the Internet that can help to work on different aspects of the language.
Here are some of the best online resources that any English student can use:
- Duolingo: This is a very popular app, that uses games to teach vocabulary and some grammar rules. It does a great job for beginners and makes study fun!
- Khan Academy: Another website that offers English resources, here you can find different videos that explain grammar rules and concepts, as well as practice activities.
- Learn English Online: Also offered by the British Council, this website features heaps of useful resources for English Students, like grammar practice, business English lessons and more.
- TedEd: Here are you can find hours of videos in English about fascinating topics, from history to maths to science, which come with reviews, comprehension questions and discussion forums.
It's clear that taking English classes online has truly never been easier. Any one of these resources and more can help you to go further on your language journey, and even have some fun along the way.
If you're already in a course, you can find materials for self-study. There are even things like translation tools that can make learning easier.
Otherwise, you can quickly and easily find a tutor that will offer private classes, helping to reach your language goals lesson by lesson.
The platform that connects tutors and students