• I teach students HOW to study and write for English and literature classes: how to analyse a text, how to structure an essay, how to interpret exam questions.
• I believe in teaching writing and reading skills. Students can apply my lessons to any subject they choose to study in the future.
• I begin with a needs assessment to determine the right approach for each student and collaborate with students and parents to meet their individual needs.
• My experience working as an ESOL teacher means I am equipped to help students with English grammar and vocabulary, even if they are fluent English speakers.
• I am a CELTA certified ESOL teacher with a double major in Comparative Literature and Philosophy from Murdoch University.
• I have tutored school students from grades 4-12 through an agency.
• I have also tutored undergraduate classes in philosophy and critical thinking at Murdoch University and the Australian National University.
• My students might not always get As, but they always see a big improvement in their grades. One year 12 student who was at risk of failing English when she started working with me got a B for her final mark.
• I have experience working with students with developmental issues that contributed to them falling behind their peers.
In my free first lesson, I will assess the student's needs and determine whether I am the right tutor for them. This will include meeting with the student's parents to discuss realistic goal setting.
I am happy to travel to meet students in Fremantle, the CBD, and most places in between for no extra cost. Any further travel is an extra $5 per lesson.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Currently enrolled in Master of Teaching (Secondary) at Edith Cowan University.
Cambridge CELTA, Phoenix Academy, 2018
Graduate Teaching Program, Australian National University, 2004
Bachelor of Arts (First Class Honours) Philosophy, Murdoch University, 2002
Bachelor of Arts, English and Comparative Literature, Murdoch University, 2001
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
2019-2020 - EF Perth: English language teacher at an international language school
2019 - Kaplan International Perth: English language teacher at an international language school
2007-2008 - IELTS Australia IDP: Admin Assistant for globally recognized English language test
2005 - Murdoch University: Tutor PHL131 Critical and Creative Thinking
2004 - Australian National University: Tutor Phil 1004: Fundamental Ideas in Philosophy
2003 - Australian National University: Tutor Phil 1003: Examined Lives to Existentialism
2002-2003 - ACE Tutoring: after school Tutor for students aged 9-17
Perfect! Gretchen is wonderfully patient, observant, intelligent and kind. She can read personalities and caters for individual learning styles. Gretchen is also very respectful of students ideas she is supportive and provides the structure that is needed to build student self esteem and confidence. My 14 year old instantly liked and respects her.
Perfect! Gretchen is enthusiastic and highly experienced. The detailed feedback and quality resources she provides are really helping me to improve my writing.
Yufei is a highly motivated student who is working on her improving her writing skills.
school english lessons nearby? Here's a selection of other listings you can check out.
Superprof can also help you with reading lessons.
Not quite what you're after? How about literature lessons?
Taking writing lessons has never been easier!
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$35||$25|
|5 hours||Not available||$160||$125|
|10 hours||Not available||$320||$250|