I am an advocate of teaching in a way that best suits the individual student. This may be experiential, student directed, teacher directed- but I believe the best approach to learning is a combination of all these approaches to keep it interesting and engaging.
I completed a Bachelor of Arts Languages (Honours for French) at the University of Sydney. I then completed a Masters in Teaching at UNE (French and HSIE) which was delivered all online. I started learning Latin in
secondary school and gained top bands in Continuers and extension Latin in Year 12. I have been working as a teacher for 6 years full time teaching Latin and French. I have been tutoring online for 2 years and I think it's so valuable to receive one on one support and feedback from the comfort of your own home at a time that is convenient for you.
Extra travel may increase travel rate
● Full time Teacher at Frensham Girls Boarding School, Mittagong, NSW of French and Latin Teacher, Part time Librarian, Tutor for individual student programs, Coordinator of students taking NSW School of Languages courses, Equestrian Coordinator, Outdoor Education Program Leader, stage 4 Tutor (Jan 2019- present).
● Online tutoring of Latin and French at Learnmate Tutoring and of English at Cluey Learning (2019-present)
● Full time Languages Teacher (French and Latin) at the Scots College, Sydney (Jan 2016- Dec 2018), Senior Tutor (2016-2018), Junior Rugby Manager (2018), Assistant Leader of Teaching Learning Communities (TLC) (2018)
● NESA Proficient Teacher Accreditation (Jan 2018)
● Working with Children Check Certificate (May 2012, 2016, 2020)
● 6 weeks teaching practical at Frensham School, Mittagong, NSW (Teaching 7-11 French) (Sept 2018)
● Secretary for the NSW schools Kevin Lee Latin Quiz organised by the Classical Languages Teachers Association (CLTA)(2017)
● Member of the Classical Languages Teachers Association (CLTA) and Modern Languages Teachers Association (MLTA) (2017- present)
● HSC Latin Continuers student in top Band (6) receiving 93/100 and an ATAR of 99.3 (2017)
● ACER Literacy and Numeracy Tests successfully completed (2017)
● 3 out of 5 HSC Latin Continuers students in top 2 Bands (5,6) and 2/4 Latin extension students in top band (E4) with top student achieving 49/50 (Dec 2016)
● Community Coaching General Principles (Oct 2016)
● Introductory level Officiating General Principles Certificate (Oct 2016)
● Child Protection Legislation Policy Certificate (Sept 2016)
● Asthma First Aid for School Certificate (Aug 2016)
● Conditional Teacher Accreditation BOSTES NSW (Jul 2016)
● CPR First Aid Certificate (July 2016, renewed February 2018)
● ASICA Anaphylaxis Australasian certificate of completion (Feb 2016)
● Duty Manager and Sales Assistant, About Life – Natural Marketplace, Double Bay, Sydney (Sept-Dec 2015)
● 6-month internship as the Events and Membership Coordinator at the French Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Sydney. Worked as the Events Organiser and organised the flagship event the Bastille Day Champagne Breakfast as well as smaller Business Networking events, worked on Communications and Marketing through Social Media channels, Translation (French, English) and Customer Relations (Mar-Sept 2015).
● Work Experience in the Health and Human Services sector of KPMG (Sydney, Australia) (March 2014)
● After school care for families with children of varying ages involving driving, cleaning, cooking, homework supervision (Jan- Aug 2014)
● Self-employed French tutor for University of Sydney students (2014)
● Retail Assistant (Topshop/Topman Sydney) (2012-2013)
● Importer’s Warehouse Sale (temporary retail assistant Dec 2013)
● Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Certificate (17 July 2012)
● Au Pair in England for 6 months caring for a 2-year-old girl and newborn baby as well as general housework, animal care, cleaning, washing (2011)
● Casual assistant to Marketing Director of TI Midwood and co, a UK supplier of Fasteners, Fixings, Nails, Fuel Cells & Power Tool Accessories (2011)
● Waitressing at Functions (2007-2010)
● Retail (Country Road, Canberra) (2009-2010)
● Nursing Homes/Holting – Environmental development and sustainability and Community Services (2007-2010)
● Sports Coaching of younger members of the Frensham School – Tennis & Basketball (2007-2010)
● Veterinary Clinic in Young NSW (2008)
KEY PERSONAL SKILLS
● Kind, considerate and of strong character, well disposed to others, demonstrated in her leadership, strong personal ethics and values and regard for the welfare of others
● Determined and passionate in her work, sport and social responsibilities
● Incredibly strong work ethic founded in personal commitment, family values and standards, and an appreciation of the privilege of opportunities
● “Worldly” at such a young age – travelled extensively throughout Australia, Europe, Asia, North America and Pacific Islands
● Strong compatibility with other people – “gets along well with others” – has a good sense of humour, sound judgement of character and of good company
● Bagi Actuate Learning Professional Development Skills Testing 2017 – top 5 strengths identified as Achiever, Harmony, Discipline, Learner, Analytical
Perfect! I got my daughter to start studying with Harriet when she was about to give up on Latin. Harriet sparked curiosity in my daughter, and made sure that she understood everything that was being taught. She ran through everything from start to end, making sure that my daughter was all good with the subject. I would strongly recommend anyone looking for a tutor to turn to Harriet.
Dilki's daughter is an enthusiastic learner and always willing to give her full attention and participates well in our sessions. Her skills in Latin are already improving after two sessions!
Harriet has a strong ability to relate and connect with her students. She has a very wide knowledge of languages especially Latin and French. She has a strong work ethic and dedication to getting the best possible outcomes for her students. I would highly recommend Harriet for tutoring.
Having worked with Harriet for a number of years, I got to witness her capacity to build an excellent rapport with her students and give them confidence in especially challenging subject matter. Harriet is adept at Stage 6 pedagogy, and has demonstrated herself as an expert in Languages course content. Harriet arrived at our school at a moment of great transition, and quickly proved to be an agile, collaborative and resilient member of the team. I would confidently recommend Harriet for any teaching position in her KLA.
I’ve known Harriet for many years and we lived together while studying at both the University of Sydney and Sciences Po University in Paris. I’ve always admired Harriet’s super strong French skills and her natural ability to teach others. Harriet is such a warm, down to earth, reliable and hardworking person, and I am so happy that she has found her passion as a languages teacher.
school english lessons nearby? Here's a selection of other listings you can check out.
Superprof can also help you with test prep lessons.
Not quite what you're after? How about essay writing lessons?
Taking latin lessons has never been easier!
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$80||$70|