Communicative approach and task based language teaching is my preferred methods of teaching as they give a lot of opportunity to the students to involve in the learning process. I prefer to approach lessons mainly through arousing curiosity and getting them involve in discussions.
I have experience in teaching English for secondary school students in Sri Lanka and worked as a volunteer home tutor in AMEP in Victoria, Australia. My Monash post graduate degree is related to teaching English for speakers of other languages (TESOL). Further, I have experience in tutoring for more than 6 years for students from grade one to twelve.
I prefer not to travel more than 30km for lessons.
Master of TESOL: 03 December 2018
3.167 GPA and 78.5 WAM (Second Class Honours Division A)
Integration Aide Certificate: 2018 September
(Pass with credit)
Graduate Certificate of Education: 2017 October
Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT)- Module 1 by Cambridge English Language Assessment (2014)
Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka (Awarded 2003)
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Specialised in English
St. Anthony’s Secondary school, Modara, Colombo 13, Sri Lanka (2016 January-2016 December)
ESL Teacher and Class Teacher
• During my tenure at the above-mentioned school I demonstrated high quality teaching skills which enabled all students to achieve their maximum potential. In order to cater students with mixed abilities and from diverse backgrounds, I used different strategies and approaches. Further, I used different methods of planning to make sure the curriculum goals are met. By giving constructive feedback I always attempted to make them motivated in their learning.
Muslim Ladies College, Bambalapitiya, Sri Lanka (2005 March – 2006 May)
• Worked as an ESL and a class teacher for a school with a distinct background. Since this school consist of female students who belong to the Muslim community, it broadens my understanding of working with students from other cultural and religious backgrounds.
• Current First Aid Certificate
• Current Working with Children Check.
• Current First Aid Certificate
• Police check
• Private Tutoring for children from grade 1-12
• Successful Completion of Literacy and Numeracy Test for Teachers conducted by ACER.
• Experience in teaching and education sector due to my teaching career, private tutoring and through working with my own children.
• Participated in WIL (Work Integrated Learning) Programme under the supervision of a TESOL practitioner where six hours of teaching was performed in an English language centre.
• Planned an intervention programme for an EAL student studying the Australian curriculum as a group project for the final assignment of a unit in the Master of TESOL course.
• Volunteered in a public school in Victoria (Doveton College) as a literacy support worker from November 2017 – September 2018. This involved applying variety of strategies to teach reading for Preparatory class children.
• Volunteered as a home tutor for AMEP (Adult Migrant English Programme) since March 2018 – November 2018. Developed and taught lessons for an Afghan female student who was not even literate in her own language. Hence, I used highly interactive strategies which enormously benefitted her.
esl (english) lessons nearby? Here's a selection of other listings you can check out.
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$33||Not available|