My teaching method is one that ensures the student receives maximum benefit from the classes. I create a relaxed environment where the student is encouraged to ask questions and drive the sessions to cater to their own queries and needs. I approach topics by having materials to assist the different types of learners, whether they are visual, auditory or kinesthetic: often incorporating all 3 to ensure that the student fully understands the subject. Having been a shy, but driven pupil in my early school days I make sure my students appreciate that it is perfectly acceptable to not understand certain topics, but with determination we will be able to overcome any subject areas they are struggling with.
I am a second year medical student at St George's University of London. I have been a Biology mentor for students at school. I also have experience running my own science and language after school teaching clubs for 2 years.
Despite being based in Gravesend, I can also travel anywhere in London for a slightly higher fee.
A highly motivated and resilient individual, currently a medical student at St George’s University of London, having received excellent grades in both Biology and English. Always enjoyed teaching other students to reflect on own learning experience to aid others and hone listening/communication skills.
Both scientifically and artistically minded, with creative approaches to develop skills within familiar and unfamiliar fields. Eventual career goal is to become a fully-qualified doctor after leaving medical school, perhaps within the paediatric or general practice fields. Always been an academically determined individual, earning the highest GCSE grades in the school, and passing the UKCAT and BMAT medical entrance tests with high scores. After completing 2 years of medical school has advanced scientific knowledge and can carry out many medical exams on patients as well as several hospital procedures.
• Advanced knowledge in scientific subjects, especially biology
• Accomplished communication skills, both written and verbal, developed through a high grade in English at an advanced level as well as numerous essays and presentations at school.
Further communication skills from 20 communication sessions at university, and much experience conversing with a range of patients
• Developed teaching skills from mentoring students
• Ability to take initiative and work well under pressure, ensuring deadlines are met, as demonstrated by taking the heavy workload of the International Baccalaureate
• Strong work ethic and commitment to projects, shown by writing Extended essay and SSC over 6 months as well as making a promotional video over 8 months
• Enjoys the challenge of working in unfamiliar fields
• Resilience from playing team sports
• Experience organising events and long-term projects during Charity week, helping our University to raise the highest amount per pupil out of all universities in London
• Proficiency in all areas of Microsoft Office, including Access, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Enthusiasm for artistic projects, designing murals and promotional projects
• Verbal articulation and confidence from being an active member of Debating society
St George’s University of London
Currently in second year of 5-year medical degree
Dartford Grammar school
Total 39 points
• HL English- 7
• HL Biology- 6
• HL Chemistry- 5
• SL History- 6
• SL Mathematical studies- 7
• SL Spanish- 6
• TOK and EE- 2
Mayfield Grammar School Gravesend
12 GCSEs in total:
English literature- A*
English language- A*
Religious studies (short course)- A*
Medical student hospital and GP placements (4 weeks unpaid experience)
• Taking detailed histories in antenatal and postnatal GP clinics
• Taking histories from hospital patients and shadowing a wide range of medical staff
• Performing hospital bedside procedures such as blood pressure, urinalysis, and glucose levels
• Performing systemic examinations on patients
• Communicating with severely unwell patients
• Carrying out nursing shifts, from making beds to serving meals
• Shadowing GI surgeons, radiologists, and geriatric consultants
• A week in oncology to further improve communication and emotional resilience
• GP home visits to elderly patients
Hospital (unpaid work experience)
(2013-2015 2 weeks total)
• Shadowing a wide range of medical staff, from consultants and junior doctors to nurses
• Witnessed orthopaedic surgeries for a week to improve anatomy knowledge
• Spent time with unwell paediatric patients
• Sat with new mothers after they had given labour
• Saw all aspects of multidisciplinary team
GP surgery (unpaid work experience)
• Working in all areas of the GP surgery, from the medical staff to the admin staff
• Organised paperwork and prescriptions
• Helped handle new registrations and discharges
• Helped create reference letters
• Witnessed appraisals by a GP tutor to improve my teaching skills
Dementia care home (unpaid volunteering)
• Caring for residents for 2 hours a week as a member of support staff
• Organising activities and talking with residents to keep them occupied
• Serving tea and dinner to residents, some with speech, hearing and comprehension difficulties
• Taught me emotional resilience when bonding with patients with severe memory loss and suffering from hallucinations. Encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and be more confident when calming down residents
• Accepted more responsibility and improved my communication and teamwork skills
• Showed the importance of understanding the physical, psychological, and social needs of residents, comforting homesick and emotional individuals
Hobbies & Interests
To relax I enjoy watching Bollywood films, to improve my Urdu skills, as well as learning new baking techniques. I enjoy reading about intriguing discoveries in the New Scientist magazine, such as history’s first complete Spinosaurus skeleton. I enjoy creating artwork, particularly black ink drawings and watercolour paintings. I design and apply henna to family members, friends, and people in the community in the form of a small business. I enjoy charity projects, having spent several months designing a mural at university for Islamic society’s charity week and being an event organiser.
References are available on request.
biology lessons nearby? Here's a selection of other listings you can check out.
Superprof can also help you with cellular biology lessons.
Not quite what you're after? How about genetics lessons?
Taking anatomy lessons has never been easier!
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|