My philosophy for Biology is a bit of a shock to those students who think memorising is 90% of passing biology! Instead, I ensure students understand each concept using a first-principles approach, continuously asking students to explain reasoning and the concepts behind their explanations.
In this way, succeeding in Bio doesn't require students to memorise every little thing they learn, but to understand and flesh out their answers in a way they could never forget!
Beyond this, every student needs to feel calm and confident walking in to an exam, to avoid freaking out and underperforming, so I make sure students understand the exam environment and the types of questions they will be asked about each dotpoint, including do past paper questions with them so they learn to plan their answer better and stay calm!
I've created a lesson map of every single dotpoint in the New HSC Biology syllabus, so whether a student needs help with a specific concept, or wants to practice for their exam, I'm happy and ready to help, with plenty of resources!
I'm a recent HSC graduate who was hired straight after my exams in an established tutoring centre creating Biology lesson resources for the New HSC Syllabus! I taught one graduating class of HSC biology and saw two of my students increase their rank in school by 25, as well as achieving an extra 20% at least on all future assessments.
My knowledge of the new HSC syllabus has been supplemented by my studies of biology at UNSW, and with my lesson plans (including quizzes, homeworks, and revision classes near exams) students will never be left wondering about any of the new or old dotpoints. I strongly encourage practicing exam questions, once the content has been covered, and incorporate as many exam-style questions as possible in my lessons.
August 2017 to PRESENT @ Timeweave, Sydney - Manager
- Customer relations and engagement
- Running and participating in marketing campaigns
- Building web scrapers in python
- Use of GitHub when managing updates to front end
- Involved with user testing
- Built an app user base from 10,000 to 120,000 in 8 months
February 2018 - PRESENT @ Synergy Education, Sydney - Teacher, Management, Content Creator
- Customer relations
- Handling invoicing and payments using QuickBooks
- Taught 4 classes of 2-3 students in high school level Biology, Math, and Physics
- Created lesson plans and student content weekly, including quizzes, homework, and lessons.
- Devised and implemented intensive student revision classes, “Holiday Courses”.
- Managed hiring and teacher training
February 2018 - November 2022 @ University of New South Wales, Kensington - Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Bioinformatics)
February 2016 - November 2018 @ Mercy Catholic College, Chatswood - English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1, Studies of Religion
- I achieved excellent results across all subjects, achieving a band 6 result in English (Advanced), Biology, Studies of Religion, Physics, and Mathematics Extension 1, as well as placing first in course in Physics, Biology, and Mathematics Extension 1.
- Commander Holbrook War Memorial Scholarship for Academic Excellence - worth $3600 over 4 years
- Principal’s Scholarship at St Andrew's Anglican College, Peregian Springs
- Distinguished Achiever 2018 HSC cohort
- First in Course Mathematics Extension 1, Biology, Physics
- Debating Captain of 2014/2015 QLD High School Seniors Semi-Finalists
biology lessons nearby? Here's a selection of other listings you can check out.
Superprof can also help you with molecular biology lessons.
Not quite what you're after? How about microbiology lessons?
Taking biotechnology lessons has never been easier!
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|