The current professional landscape has evolved in many ways during the past years to include jobs that didn't exist before. This is due to the growth of jobs in tech and the need for more "traditional" companies to dive into the digital world in order to keep up.
Now we hear more and more about job postings like "Coder" or "Data Analyst" which entail having knowledge of subjects such as coding, SQL, Python and many more. These job vacancies come hand in hand with pretty attractive salaries.
This is why more and more people all over Australia are looking to polish their coding skills and become proficient in the different coding languages.
That's the reason why becoming a coding tutor in Australia is an excellent way for you to start making more money: there are lots and lots of people around the country looking to acquire the skills you know how to teach!
If you are looking for tips on becoming a coding tutor and finding programming jobs in the different Australian cities, keep reading to learn more about getting started and how Superprof can help you reach your professional goals.
Read more about education requirements to teach programming.
What Is Programming?
First things first: what is programming? What does a coding tutor teach? Why has programming become so important for the current professional landscape?
The basic definition for programming is: "Instructing a computer how to do things".
While this is accurate, it does leave some specifics behind. Like, how do you do it? How does the computer understand what you want? Is there one or more ways to program a computer?
First, let's define what a computer program is. A computer program consists of code that is executed on a computer to perform particular tasks. This particular code is written by programmers.
With that in mind, we can then come to the conclusion that programming is the process of giving machines a set of instructions that describe how a program should be carried out. The way that programmers or coders send these instructions is by learning a variety of programming languages and tools so they can effectively build computer programs.
Just like we humans can understand a few languages (English, Spanish, Mandarin, French, etc.), so is the case with computers. Computers understand instructions that are written in a specific syntactical form called a programming language.
But what is the difference between programming and coding? Or is it the same thing?
- Programming is the mental process of thinking up instructions to give to a machine (like a computer).
- Coding is the process of transforming those ideas into a written language that a computer can understand.
There are many different programming languages, some more complicated and complex than others. Among the most popular languages are:
Different languages work in different ways so a lot of computer programmers decide to be specialised in one or two popular programming languages instead of trying to know a lot of them on a more superficial level.
Some people might think that programming is boring and all about repeating lines of code but truth be told, programming is a creative task: there is no right or wrong way to solve a problem, it's the programmer's job to find the best way to do it.
There are choices to be made, and one way may seem better than another, but that doesn’t mean the other is wrong. With the right skills and experience, a programmer can craft software to solve an unlimited number of problems.
This is also why becoming a programmer is so exciting, it offers a world of possibilities and creative thinking.
If you are passionate enough about programming and have the right skills, you can share all of this knowledge and more with your programming students by becoming a coding tutor. Keep reading to find out more about what tutoring entails and how you can find programming jobs online with the help of Superprof.
Learn more about setting your rates for programming lessons in Australia.
What Does a Private Tutor Do?
Find more tutoring jobs here on Superprof.
Becoming a private tutor and teaching programming to students in Australia seems like a great career option but before you become a coding tutor you need to understand what it is that a private tutor actually does.
Private tutors provide one-on-one educational assistance to students of all ages, from elementary and secondary school students, university students and adults.
There are many ways in which you can be a private tutor: you can work for a company that specializes in tutoring services or a community literacy organisation.
You can also become a freelance private tutor and decide to work on your own from the comfort of your own home (if you choose to be an online coding tutor) or meet your students in-person be it your students' home, or a local meeting place like a library or community centre.
Some of the main duties of a private tutor are:
- Reviewing classroom or curricula topics and assignments
- Assisting students with homework, projects, test preparation, papers, research and other academic tasks
- Working with students to help them understand key concepts
- Teaching skills to improve academic performance, including study strategies, note-taking skills and approaches to answering test questions
- Demonstrating academic best practices for specific subjects and assignments, including research and writing tactics
- Developing and distributing teaching materials to supplement classroom lessons, including study guides
- Conducting practice tests to track progress, identify areas of improvement and help set goals for exam preparation
- Providing students positive and constructive feedback
- Offering feedback on progress to students’ parents and teachers where appropriate
Find more tutoring jobs Melbourne here on Superprof.
When it comes to being a coding tutor, the job is no different to that of a more general tutor. The only thing that changes is the subject and the fact that this entails different teaching tactics, teaching examples, coding exercises and ways of evaluating work.
As a coding tutor, your job will be to tutor people in computer programming by teaching them how to write codes. Your duties are to assist students in the creation and development of software and help them learn how to maintain and fix code in various formats. Depending on the student’s needs and your own capabilities, you can help with different programming languages.
Knowing that the world of computer programming is highly technical and poses specific academic challenges, you will realize that even some who are already at work in the computer programming industry may need additional one-on-one instruction or teaching guidance in general programming principles, or in a specific computer programming language.
Some basic things that you should do as a coding tutor are:
- Determine which key skills are most important for a particular tutoring course or program in order to serve the needs of a specific student.
- Handle all aspects of scheduling to ensure that the student has convenient access to the course or program.
- Offer homework, self-testing, or other activities that can be done outside of the actual programming instruction sessions to allow the student to complete more of the learning on their own time.
- Teach syntax in a particular programming language.
- Help the student to complete key course work, or excel in a job role related to coding or programming.
- Share tips on preventing code errors.
- Share programming conventions within a small part of the developer or programming industry.
- Build lesson plans that include hands-on work with code modules and functional code.
Find more tutoring jobs Sydney here on Superprof.
If you’re already a savvy programmer, why not consider converting your knowledge into extra income by becoming a coding tutor? If you want to learn more about finding programming jobs online and becoming a coding tutor check out everything that Superprof can offer as a platform.
Find the best resources to find students for your programming lessons here.
Find Programming Jobs Online with Superprof
Finding programming jobs can be daunting if you are new to the world of tutoring and have never been a private tutor before. If this is your case, worry not: Superprof is here to help you connect with prospective coding students from all over Australia.
Superprof is a platform that hosts a wide network of private tutors in a variety of subjects who are all ready to share their skills and knowledge with students who are looking for support.
Coding and computer programming is an extremely popular subject, with many students all over Australia looking to improve their computer programming skills, become better at data and programming languages and perfect their coding portfolio in order to advance in their careers.
If you are a coding tutor all you need to do is create your profile and set your hourly rate. You should also define whether your lessons will be in-person or online and what type of teaching method you will use for your classes.
Once you have this clear, it will be time for students to contact you and you will start getting programming jobs online!
The platform that connects tutors and students