“Fashion is part of the daily air and it changes all the time, with all the events. You can even see the approaching of a revolution in clothes. You can see and feel everything in clothes.” -Diana Vreeland
The breathtaking works of Karl Lagerfeld, Oscar de la Renta, Gianni and Donatella Versace, Giorgio Armani, Coco Chanel, Alexander McQueen, and Marc Jacobs have revolutionised the way modern people dress.
Top designers have made regular folk marvel at their creations and, as a positive consequence, inspire them to continually strive to possess a sense of style and dress like top models every single day.
There is no doubt about it, fashion is an art and designers are artists.
The artists behind the fashion industry have made it a multi-billion dollar industry that shows no signs of slowing down; it makes complete sense since people need to dress!
Also, when we compare our bodies to canvases, we want to choose clothing items that are trendy and in style.
Where do people find the most up to date trends and fashion looks?
Thanks to fashion photographers, new fashion trends are frequently featured in the pages of iconic magazines such as Elle and Vogue and in other diverse mediums.
Therefore, without further delay, we will briefly consider in today's article what it takes to become a sports photographer or famous fashion photographer.
Famous Fashion Photographers
"My pictures are my eyes. I photograph what I see and what I want to see." -Mario Testino
Fashion is an art and photography is an art. Therefore, fashion photographers use their art form to capture art in its purest sense. Some of fashion photography's pictures have become the world's most cherished and beloved images. For example, Vogue's cover issues are distributed all over the planet and feature some of fashion's most beautiful and freshest faces.
It is essential to state that while there are thousands of famous fashion photographers all over the world, some names come up more often than others.
Which names are those?
The following list features some of fashion photography's most celebrated names and some brief information about them:
- Annie Leibovitz: known for her distinctive and imaginative techniques, Annie Leibovitz, is the most recognisable woman fashion photographer currently working today. Leibovitz has taken professional pictures for Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, and Vogue, to name a few. Some of her most essential subjects include Hilary Clinton, John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Angelina Jolie, and Donald Trump.
- Peter Lindbergh: Lindbergh was credited with many famous fashion photographs throughout his lengthy career in the fashion world. One of his most famous pictures was taken for the January 1990 British Vogue cover of models Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, and Tatjana Patitz; this cover image single-handedly began an era of supermodels.
- Helmut Newton: known by many in the business as the "king of kink", he is one of the most iconic photographers to have lived. His impressive resume includes contracts with British Vogue, Playboy, and Harper's Bazaar. His most famous photograph is without a doubt 'Le Smoking' image.
- Mario Testino: originally from Peru, Mario Testino is one of the most legendary fashion photographers of all time. He is well known for shooting many Vogue cover issues and working for well-known fashion houses such as Burberry, Dolce & Gabbana, and Gucci. He skyrocketed to fame in 1997 when he photographed Princess Diana for a cover of Vanity Fair.
By discovering the iconic images shot by the previously mentioned photographers, amateurs quickly become inspired by the worlds of photography and high-fashion. Who knows, maybe with a little dedication, talent, and hard work, you'll be taking pictures of the next batch of supermodels!
How to Become a Fashion Photographer
Do you have a passion for photography and fashion? Do you want to travel the world with your camera? Do you want to meet some of the fascinating designers of the 21st centuries? Do you want to take pictures of the world's most beautiful people?
If you answered yes to all four of the previously mentioned questions, you've found the perfect career as a fashion photographer!
The glitz and glamour of taking excellent pictures, partying, travelling the world, and being around beautiful models and talented designers is a significant thrill. However, there are specific steps that need to be followed to achieve a successful career in photography. It is essential to mention that becoming a photographer or specifically a reputable fashion photographer takes time and necessary steps need to be followed to reach the top and compete against the likes of Testino and Demarchelier.
Learn more about wedding and event photography.
Therefore, without further delay, the following are crucial steps to become a successful fashion photographer:
- Create a Portfolio: without a professional-looking portfolio, it is almost impossible to become successful in the beginning. Having a collection allows clients and employers to see your previous work that is updated and fresh. It is worthy of mentioning that many photographers are creating websites to showcase their best work effectively.
- Work For Free at First: while it is true that your primary goal is to make enough money to support yourself as a fashion photographer when starting off it may be necessary to take pictures for free; this is a fantastic way to expand your portfolio. Contact model agencies and non-profit organisations to offer your services free of charge. However, remember this is only done to build your portfolio and gain experience, do not let people take advantage of you.
- Market Yourself on Social Media: we are living in a digital world and if you want to make it big as a fashion photographer you need to warmly embrace social media outlets such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, etc. Post your best work and follow people or companies that can effectively get you to work.
- Become a Photo Gallery Regular: to get the attention of skilled professionals who will hire you, consider building a strong bond with a photo gallery which allows you to exhibit your photos. Many experts and fashion enthusiasts frequently visit art galleries, and they could be calling your name next!
The previously mentioned steps are only a few of the many that aspiring fashion photographers should consider.
Hiring a photo agent, taking courses, moving to international fashion cities such as London, Paris, Milan, New York, Los Angeles, and Tokyo, learning how to edit, and being persistent are all ways in which the best fashion photography jobs are ensured.
What about exploring wildlife photography?
Gearing Up: Necessary Tools of Fashion Photography
All working professionals in different sectors possess tools or gear that they use on a daily basis. Necessary equipment helps all finish the job effectively and more efficiently.
What about fashion photography? What gear does a fashion photographer use on a regular basis?
Camera equipment is quite expensive and fashion photographers often need more gear than other photographers working in different sectors. A logical strategy for amateur fashion photographers would be to use inexpensive equipment with low-paying clients in the start and slowly build your arsenal as you acquire high-paying clients.
Learn about analysing photographs here.
The following is the necessary gear used by the grand majority of fashion photographers working today:
- Camera: although it is important to mention that many fashion photographers continue to use film, the new generation has decided to use digital single-lens reflex cameras or in other words, DSLR cameras. Positive attributes about DSLRs include the facts that they are comfortable to shoot with, have excellent low-light performance, and pictures are easy to edit. When deciding to specialise in fashion photography, purchasing a DSLR camera is a must. How much are they? Average starting prices range from £3,000-8,000; however, you can easily spend £30,000 on a high-quality camera for fashion photography.
- Lenses: it is true that one lens is enough to start off developing a portfolio and being hired for small jobs; however, to make it big as a fashion photographer, many clear lenses are needed to shoot stunning pictures of models in any situations. For example, a 30mm lens might be necessary to take wide-angle shots, and a 300mm zoom lens is indispensable for taking far away shots of models effortlessly walking the catwalk. Also, it is not uncommon for fashion photographers to use 400mm and 600mm telephoto lenses to take pictures of swimsuit or fashion models. However, it is essential to state that some lenses used by the best fashion photographers are heavy and awkward to carry around; sometimes portable is better for outdoor shoots on-the-go.
Find out about advertising photography here.
- Flashes, Strobes, and Lighting Gear: to get the best lighting out of the subject and in turn, the best picture, it is essential to have a few key elements. Whether you are shooting in a studio or outdoors, a flash is of the utmost importance. Many experts recommend the Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash for its versatility and overall ease. Nevertheless, as beginners become experts, there is more lighting gear that is used such as photo floodlights, tungsten-halogen lamps, and umbrella reflectors; all of this lighting equipment contributes to taking fantastic and professional photos.
- Editing Items: after a long day at the studio shooting brilliant pictures of fussy models, the hard work is not done; now begins the editing! Editing photos is an essential part of any photographers work. Reliable gear and reputable programs make the editing process lively and enjoyable. Creative manipulation can be done on a fantastic PC or Mac, using a highly recommended program such as Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Lightroom. Also, fashion photographers who want the upper hand on other professionals might consider purchasing a scanner and printer to produce their own photos to the client.
After the previously mentioned tools have been purchased, an aspiring fashion photographer is on his or her way to becoming an industry legend!
Mixing your love for fashion and photography is a unique career that can be perfected over decades to create some of the 21st century's most beautiful photographs.
Can I become a portrait photographer in the UK?
You can also find out more about wildlife photography here.