Anyone who has been keeping up with current affairs recently has most likely been hearing more and more about cryptocurrencies, from well established digital currencies like Bitcoin, to those which seem a bit more far fetched such as 'Dogecoin'.
Cryptocurrencies are currently experiencing a boom in their value. This has been spurred on by an increased public awareness of the technology, the ever more connected internet and community forums that discuss it, and big names in the professional tech sector speaking publicly about currencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum.
A Quick Look at Crypto and Blockchain Technology
To understand how cryptocurrencies work, you need to have a good grasp on the idea of blockchain technology. In the most basic terms, blockchain is a type of database that stores it's information differently to a regular database.
Information is stored in 'Blocks' that are added to the 'Chain' in chronological order once they are filled with data. This means that any user of the blockchain network will be able to see the full history of the chain in the order that it happened.
So far blockchain tech has mainly been used as a way to store transaction history of various cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin. Because of this, anyone can see Bitcoin transactions, making it a lot less anonymous than it was originally thought to be.
Even still, Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other popular cryptocurrencies are seeing a huge rise in demand from business investors in the financial industry, and from small time individual investors who are getting involved with trading and learning how to use the digital currencies.
Trading in digital and crypto currencies is a volatile market that holds many risks, mainly because the value of the coins are tied to how many investors there. Cryptocurrencies are decentralised, meaning they are not linked with any government body, financial institute, or central bank.
Whilst this allows more freedom in the trading of these encrypted currencies, it also means that the value of Bitcoin, for example, does not have the support given to currencies like the Australian dollar, and will not be bailed out if it crashes.
With this in mind, it is important to know the risks of trading in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies before you dive in head first.
This is why if you are planning to begin investing some money into digital currencies to build yourself an investment portfolio, you had best undertake a course of study in crypto to learn how to minimise the risks of trading and gain the knowledge required to safely work in the industry.
To give you an idea of where you can commence your training in the use of cryptocurrency, let's take a look at some of the courses that are available for you to study in Sydney, Australia.
You might also consider checking out the courses available in Perth.
Cryptocurrency Courses to Study at Sydney's Universities and School's
Despite the fact that digital currencies are on the rise in popularity, and a new wave of big businesses are beginning to accept Bitcoin as payment: It can still be difficult to find a course or program to study that focuses solely on cryptocurrencies.
That being said, there are still a number of options for you to begin learning about the use, value, trading, and risks of crypto in Sydney, both physically in class, and via online courses.
University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
UTS is a well established school of technology based in Ultimo, Sydney. There is no specific degree or paid university course that will allow you to study crypto in it's entirety, but there are a few good options for those looking to get a foot in the door, or those who are planning to learn more about blockchain within their line of work. These include:
- Cryptocurrencies Open Learning Course - This is a self paced course offered by UTS which is completely free. Within this course you will learn all about what cryptocurrencies are, their value compared to other investments, and how to get involved with trading them. You will be taught by academic and industry experts, a great place to start learning all you need to know.
- Get Ready For Blockchain Open Learning Course - Another self paced course offered by UTS will allow you to learn all about the blockchain technology behind Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. It will teach you about how blockchain can be used beyond crypto and what problems it will help solve, for free!
- BA of Medical Science and BA of Laws - There are many aspects of medical science that require a strong legal understanding. Within this course you have the choice to major in 'Future Technologies', which will teach you about emerging technologies like AI and blockchain, and how they impact the legal industry.
- BA of Forensic Science and BA of Laws - Similarly, in this course you will learn about Blockchain and other technologies that will affect the future of legal practice. Forensic science uses scientific principles to assist in legal cases, including electronic forensics of bank transfers and financial information; Making it important to understand how blockchain can present financial transactions.
Take a look at cryptocurrency courses available at universities in Melbourne.
Sydney Community College
This community college based in Rozelle, Sydney, is another option for individuals looking to start an investment portfolio in the world of cryptocurrency. This school offers a short course of an introduction to cryptocurrency, running for just a few lessons which are filled with everything you need to know to understand crypto and and how to begin trading with it.
Some of the key concepts covered in this short course include:
- What is cryptocurrency, it's properties, and how to use it.
- Looking at the main digital currencies: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin.
- What are crypto wallets, there characteristics, and are they safe?
- Learning about blockchain, and distributed ledger technology
- How blockchain relates to crypto, and what other uses it may have in the future
- A brief look at investing and trading cryptocurrencies
All of this will leave you with a good grasp of the key concepts of crypto and how to use it effectively, allowing you to try your hand at trading, or build upon the knowledge you gain.
Brisbane is another city in Australia where you might consider studying cryptocurrency.
University of Sydney (USYD)
Despite not offering a full course of study on cryptocurrencies and blockchain, the University of Sydney does have a unit of study for their students to undertake which can provide some knowledge on trading and investing with crypto.
This unit is called Cryptocurrency Markets and Investments, and is available to students at the financial business school of the University of Sydney. You can also approach USYD as an individual to take this unit on it's own for your own personal interest, or potentially to complete this unit as part of a course of study you are undertaking with another university.
Online Crypto Courses
If you live in a regional area of NSW, or do not want to commit to an in class course of study; There are also a number of options for learning about cryptocurrency remotely. Here are a few online institutes that offer training courses in cryptocurrency and blockchain technology:
- The Knowledge Academy - Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Course offered online with an instructor or as a self paced course
- Columbia Business School - Blockchain in Business: Beyond the Hype is a remote learning course lasting 2 months
- Intellipaat - Blockchain Training Course is offered featuring 32 hours of instructor lead content, as well as 32 hours of self paced learning
There are many other remote training courses which can teach you about digital currency and the tech that makes it work. Be sure to do your research before committing to an online course to ensure that it is good value for money and will provide you with the information you are looking to learn.
The Knowledge Academy and other remote courses are also available in the rest of Australia!
Discover More About Cryptocurrency With a Private Tutor
If you do not want to undertake a course of study at a school or university, or if you have completed an introductory course into cryptocurrency and blockchain and wish to further your knowledge; You also have the option of working with a private tutor who has industry based experience.
There are many ways that you can find a reliable tutor who can help you with your studies, some of these include:
- Schools and Universities - Teachers will often offer their services as a tutor in their spare time
- Online - Community forums and social media pages may hold advertisements for tutors
- Superprof - Here at Superprof we offer a wide range of tutors to students in Australia
You can use the Superprof website to discover professional private tutors for many different academic and leisure based subjects. Cryptocurrency is no different, and Superprof can help you to find a tutor who is experienced in this industry and who can further your existing knowledge on the subject.
Working with a private tutor is flexible and easy, and allows you to get quality training and education at a pace that suits you.
If you are interested in working with a private tutor, or taking a crypto course at a school or university in Adelaide, you can learn more here.
Now is the perfect time to get involved with cryptocurrency and blockchain, provided you are well informed of the risks you are taking when trading digital currency, so decide on a course that suits your style of learning and make a start today!
The platform that connects tutors and students