Going back to a school may require a good deal of shopping, especially with the ever-growing number of subjects studied by students.
As a result of this curriculum development, parents not only have to provide school children with the basic school supply list, but they also have to purchase special supplies for courses like arts or crafts.
For example, art supplies may include a sketchbook, coloured pencils, paints and an easel, while to play in their school theatre, students will need costumes and props.
Even a course like school maths may require a large number of supplies for its activities. For instance, students may need a scientific calculator (or a basic calculator if they only started learning the subject), books, rulers or equipment for math games, like dice or cards.
Find out more about school math equipment in our article.
Schools usually give out lists of supplies at the beginning of the year, so students can start learning without any hiccups.
Depending on the level, the list of mathematical supplies may be more or less long and it is the parent's job to provide school students with all of the necessary tools so they can achieve the best possible results.
On the other hand, it is the child who needs to make an effort to draw benefits from those tools and become successful. Students who achieve a good knowledge of maths get access to better privileges, university degrees, jobs with higher wages and happier life in general.
Additionally, knowing you have succeeded in overcoming difficulties and learning one of the most difficult school subjects is a rewarding feeling which will push you to move forward in your free time.
So even if a school supply list includes a lot of items, investing in them will have plenty of advantages for the student. Learning mathematical theorems will become easier and the student can study in a peaceful learning environment and have fun.
Check for Maths tutor Sydney here on Superprof.
If they know that they've got all they need for mathematical classroom activities, the latter will become an interesting game for students that will lead them to great results.
For students, mathematics classes are not always easy. During their school studies, they learn timetables, adding, dividing, calculus, fractions, algebra, geometry and many other new topics.
Let's find out what equipment can help them deal with all mathematical challenges and, more importantly have fun while learning. This last point is especially important because it's when we enjoy what we are doing that we do our best.
The Most Important Equipment for Maths Classroom Activities
When the time comes for you or your child to go back to school it can be difficult to buy exactly the right things for your child. One good solution for that is to ask your maths teacher. They may share their lesson plans for the coming year with you or even offer a supply list.
Discover our tips to select the best calculator for you.
You'll see what classroom games and mathematical activities to prepare for and whether you need to buy all the supplies yourself or some may be lent by the school for free.
Despite the convenience of this approach, not all parents want to wait for the school year to begin before buying the supplies. If you want to do your shopping before the classes have started, it is totally possible.
In fact, the maths curriculum doesn't change a lot from year to year, so you can draw your list in advance.
As the school year gets closer to the end, you can ask for advice from the maths teacher on what to buy during the holiday. This way, you will gain time and do your shopping calmly.
If you didn't have a chance to speak to the teachers at school and get to know more about their teaching plans, here are the most crucial items for the school mathematics course.
Find a helpful Math tutor here on Superprof.
Maths Equipment for School
A lot of people may not realise that but there are a lot of types of calculators around. Each of them has different mathematical functions and is meant for a different job.
The basic calculator is used for operations that students learn in primary school, but when you enter high school, college or university, its functions may not be enough.
A basic calculator can, of course, be helpful to solve complex problems, but it may take more time than using a more advanced machine. If you plan on studying maths at a professional level, it can serve you well to invest in a powerful calculator.
There are a lot of tools to help kids learn maths.
A good calculator can do repetitive tasks for you, while you work out complex problems.
Here are the main types of calculators:
- We use a simple calculator to do primary school operations, like subtraction, addition, multiplication and division.
- A scientific calculator can be used for more tasks than a simple calculator. It is able to solve complex equations and calculations. If you only start learning equations it may be better not to use a scientific calculator to master all the steps yourself. However, at the high school and university level calculator, it can become really helpful.
- Finally, graphing calculators include all the functions of basic and scientific ones, but on top of that, they can perform calculations of integral calculus and matrices. When the solution is calculated, you can generate a graph representing it on the graphing calculator screen. This is a machine for secondary school students and above.
Geometry is a branch of maths that focuses on 2-D shapes and figures, such as points, lines and angles, describes their characteristics and works out formulas that apply to them.
Here are a few geometry tools that every mathematics student should be able to use:
- A ruler is one of the simplest tools meant to help us draw straight lines and measure their lengths. In addition to maths, it can be used to make technical drawings and even in practical works. A 30 cm-long ruler should be enough for school students.
- The compass is an instrument for drawing circles or arcs of circles. It is usually made of metal and has a v shape with a point on one tip and the other arm holding a pencil.
- The protractor has some similarities with the ruler but it has a semi-circular shape and serves to measure angles. It comes into use as soon as students start learning triangles and can be helpful when drawing as well.
Find out more about maths tutoring online.
When learning maths, students don't only write down numbers and equations but may also need to draw graphs and geometric shapes. What's more, it may come in handy to take notes during your classes and make lists of formulas.
A particular type of paper that math students need in large quantities for their classroom activities is graph paper. This is paper covered with square grids, which makes it especially suitable for writing numbers and drawing graphs or geometric shapes.
Once you've got everything you'll need for mathematical activities and games, you will need something to carry it in.
- The pencil case is a common tool to carry small items and doesn’t take up too much space itself. Pencil cases often have slots where you can neatly store pens, pencils, erasers and other stationery items, so they will be at hand whenever you need them.
- The backpack is an excellent carrier for larger items. When choosing one, make sure it has enough space to put in all your books and other stuff. You can also purchase a smaller bag for your gym equipment if you have sports classes. It is also advisable to have separate bags if you have a swimming or art lesson. A wet swimming suit or paints that haven't yet dried out can do a lot of damage to your books and homework, so it's better for children to take precautionary measures.
Other Basic Stationery
- Pens are the main writing tool for children that they will use in almost every lesson. Make sure to choose the right pen for a smooth writing experience.
- Pencils can be especially useful in a geometry lesson as you will likely need to erase things for example when working with a triangle or a square.
- Eraser adds to the pencil in this task and will be irreplaceable in maths exams (just like white-out can be useful if you make a mistake with a pen).
- Highlighters and pencils of different colours are used by students to underline important sections and create an easy to read text. You can also buy some different coloured pens for the same purpose.
- Planners can be a useful tool in addition to notebooks in which you can take notes about your homework, classroom activities and school events. It will help you plan your day and study your school subjects with fun in your free time.
Being a student may have its difficult moment, even to get ready for math classes, you have to invest in a long list of items. However, even if tools are helpful and can inspire children, in the end, their educational success will depend on their own efforts and motivation.
It's also important to be aware that there may be a difference in the necessary tools required for maths in high school.
The platform that connects tutors and students