Do you want to become an expert drummer and wow everyone with your drumming skills? Or maybe you are thinking of forming a band with your mates and building a career in music?
If you are interested in learning how to play the drums and are wondering what drumming classes are like and where you can find the best drum lessons in Australia, you have come to the right place.
Keep reading to find the best drum lessons with the help of Superprof and learn more about drumming skills, drumming classes cost and get inspired with the talent of great Australian drummers!
Famous Australian Drummers
It is quite common to hear talks about great guitar players or great singers since they get more of a spotlight than drummers when performing. But truth be told, drummers are just as talented and as instrumental parts of a band and there are many prodigies that have wowed people across the world with their drumming skills.
If you are looking for some inspiration from Australian drummers, you can check out some of the following names:
- Phil Rudd: he was born in Melbourne, Australia and is best known as the drummer of AC/DC across three stints.
- Nick Cave: born in Warracknabeal in 1957, Nick Cave is best known as the lead singer of the rock band Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds. He has also written several books, including novels and anthologies of his poetry.
- Paul Hester: born in Melbourne, Paul Hester is the former Drummer and Co-founder of Crowded House.
- Kate Wilson: Having come up with Sydney legends The Laurels, Wilson left to pursue new project The Holy Soul last year.
- Ashton Irwin: Ashton Irwin is an Australian musician and singer-songwriter best known for his association with the famous pop-rock band, 5 Seconds of Summer (5SOS). In 2020, he was judged the third-Best Rock Drummers In The World Right Now by the popular music website, MusicRadar.
- Scarlett Stevens: San Cisco’s Scarlett Stevens was first shown the sticks by Jack Johnson’s own drummer Adam Topol. Forming her own band, The Flairz, at the same young age, they even made it to SXSW. But Stevens found fame with her current outfit, indie-pop band San Cisco.
- Virgil Donati: Virgil Donati is an Australian musician, composer, drummer, and producer. He is often counted among the most technically advanced drummers.
- Jen Sholakis: she has been recording and touring as a drummer for over ten years, and with a number of different outfits. She is perhaps best known for her work with Jen Cloher, The Orbweavers, and also the excellent East Brunswick Girls Choir.
How to Prepare for Your Drum Lessons
Taking drum lessons is always a good idea no matter what your drumming goals are. Even if you don’t see yourself as a professional drummer, it’s worth your time to learn techniques and fundamentals.
One of the most intimidating things about learning how to play drums is the cost of getting started. Oftentimes, instruments don’t come cheap. And unlike most other instruments, the drum set is composed of several pieces of expensive gear. If you can't buy one, you need to make sure you have a space where you can practice on a regular basis.
On the other hand, it is important that you approach your lessons with curiosity and will to learn. During your school, band, or independent practice, take note of any questions or challenges you face. Write them down so you remember to ask for tips during your lesson.
Another tip is to get ready to engage in your drum lessons from the get-go. Do not wait until 10 minutes before your first lesson to warm up. The best way to prepare for your first drum lesson is to practice for 10 or 20 minutes every day instead of one hour the day before your first lesson. You should schedule this practice time into your day just like you would schedule an appointment or class.
How Much do Drumming Classes Cost?
Prices of drum lessons depend on a number of factors. Where you live, who’s the teacher, and how long the classes will be. More experienced teachers generally cost more than less experienced teachers, particularly for private lessons.
To give you an idea, the average cost of drum lessons in Australia is $50 dollars but this can vary depending on the region and city where you are located. Since the cost of living in the different Australian cities is different, prices may go up and down accordingly.
To give you an idea of the average costs of drumming classes in the different Australian cities you can check out the following list:
- The average price for drum lessons in Sydney is: $54 dollars
- The average price for drum lessons in Melbourne is: $57 dollars
- The average price for drum lessons in Perth is: $45 dollars
- The average price for drum lessons in Adelaide is: $45 dollars
- The average price for drum lessons in Brisbane is: $56 dollars
- The average price for drum lessons in Hobart is: $40 dollars
- The average price for drum lessons in Canberra is: $37 dollars
You can also opt to take drumming lessons online which costs an average of $37 dollars per hour of class. This happens because online lessons come without cost for teachers when it comes to transportation (commuting) or materials.
Are Drums Easy or Hard to Learn?
If you are interested in learning how to play a musical instrument but are not sure if drums is the right way to go, there's another factor you should consider: the level of difficulty. While some aspects of playing the drums tend to be fairly easy to grasp, other things may take years to get a grip on.
For basic things such as holding the drumsticks and keeping a simple rhythm, you will need about 30 minutes. However, after six months of consistent practice (approximately five times a week) you may be ready to play along with the music.
Therefore, the drums are similar to almost any other instrument in how long it takes to learn. You could become quite proficient at playing drums within around eight months to a year of reasonably consistent practice.
Even though some aspects of learning to play drums are difficult, anyone can still do it. You can learn to play beats and your sense of rhythm will develop in good time.
How do Beginners Start Drumming?
Once you’ve got a pair of drum sticks, a playing surface, and practice materials (rudiments, sheet music exercises), it’s time to start practising your skills.
You can look online for some drum beats and easy drum songs for beginners. Another great way to learn how to play the drums is to practice along with your favourite songs.
While practising, it’s very important to check in and make sure you’re using proper techniques. For example, ask yourself, “Am I holding the sticks correctly?” or, “Am I playing this rudiment correctly?”
That said, the best way to learn how to become a drummer is with private tuition. Having a private tutor is always ideal for beginner students who want a bit more guidance from someone with the right experience.
Online Drum Lessons
Are you interested in taking online drum lessons but not sure if they are the right option for your private tuition? Here are some of the advantages of having an online tutor with experience in drumming:
- Affordable: Generally, online music lessons are less expensive than in-person music lessons because the music tutor doesn’t have to spend resources traveling to see you, or if visiting your instructor, you’re not occupying studio space and using utilities and adding to your tutor's expenses.
- Teacher or tutor Quality: The Internet gives students greater options to choose from when looking for a tutor since they’re not restricted to merely their local area.
- Convenience: Students don’t have to travel 30 to 60-minutes roundtrip to their teacher’s studio.
- Recording Lessons: Students can easily record Skype music lessons for review at a later time using audio/video recording software.
- Immediate Practicing: Since online music students don’t have to commute back home, they can practice immediately after the lesson when ideas are fresh and their energy and enthusiasm levels are still high.
- Lesson Longevity: Students who take online music lessons end up taking lessons more consistently and typically stay with their lessons 10% longer than local students because online music lessons are easy and convenient.
Find Drum Lessons Near Me With Superprof
If you want to learn everything about drumming, from the theory of the instrument to genres and styles like jazz and rock and everything that you can do with your drumming experience, finding a private tutor is the best way to go.
All you need to do to find the right teacher or tutor for your level of experience is conduct a quick search on our web. From Sydney to Adelaide, Melbourne VIC and many other cities, there are many available teachers ready to share their knowledge with you.
Make sure to check out their teachers profile, their years and level of experience, the instrument they play (percussion), as well as their professional trajectory and preparation.
Once you find the right teacher for you, it is time to start your drumming tuition in Australia with Superprof!
The platform that connects tutors and students