The whole of Japan is pure invention. There is no such country, there are no such people... The Japanese people are... simply a mode of style, an exquisite fancy of art." - Oscar Wilde
Japan is a beautiful country with a rich and elegant culture. From its technologically advanced cities to its fascinating history spanning many millennia, Japan is a hub for both international business and tourism.
The Japanese influence is as far-flung as the people, with over 1.5 million international trips registered by Japanese natives in a normal year.
According to Tourism Australia, Japanese are the fifth largest group of international visitors to the land down under. Is it any wonder why so much Japanese food, culture, and language exist in Melbourne?
The relationship goes both ways; in 2016, over 400,000 Australians visited Japan, excited by the prospect of visiting the snow, seeing two sumo's wrestle, and visiting the magnificent and ethereal Mt. Fuji.
It's cultural experiences like these that inspire so many to learn the Japanese language, so we've put together a guide to help you find Japanese courses and learn Japanese in Melbourne.
Make no mistake, it takes time, sometimes years of school lessons and classes to learn a language.
But, with a good Japanese course or an online or face to face tutor, you can expedite your learning of any language. In this article, we've compiled everything aspiring Japanese language students need to know about learning Japanese in the city of Melbourne.
Konnichiwa, arigato, sayonara!
Language Schools with the Best Japanese Courses Melbourne
There is so much Japanese influence in the city of Melbourne. Whether it's catching up for ramen, visiting the Hometown Asian Supermarket to purchase ingredients for a home-cooked Japanese meal, or joining an Anime club, Melbournites everywhere have fallen in love with Japanese culture and are integrating Japanese teaching into their lives.
Many Melbournites are eager to discover and learn the Japanese language too, and there are tonnes of great options when it comes to taking language lessons and classes in Melbourne.
Here are some of the best language schools in Melbourne, with great classes and tutors for students aspiring to study the Japanese language:
- JAPANEASY: JAPANEASY is an excellent Japanese language school that offers group lessons, as well as private and offsite lessons so you can learn in such a way that is convenient for you. JAPANEASY is located in the heart of the Melbourne CBD, which makes its library and learning location central and accessible to every student in the greater metropolitan area of Melbourne. JAPANEASY believes in bringing the Japanese culture into the classroom, as well as cultivating an immersive language community with its teachers and students.
- Japanese Melbourne Language School: Also located in the heart of Melbourne, JMLS is a decade-old Japanese language practice that boasts exclusively native Japanese teachers. The JMLS method is immersive and brings the culture of Japan into the classroom with the students. JMLS offers face to face lessons, which are usually small groups of five or less, leading to a highly personalised experience between student and teacher. They also offer online courses, where each lesson is held via webcam.
- The Council of Adult Education: CAE is a large provider of adult classes in a wide range of subjects, including many language courses. The school itself is over 70 years old and offers learning in just under 20 languages. Their website offers prospective students an online skill test guide, which users can take before they start the process of enrolling so that they know which course will suit them best. CAE also offers students a free language skills assessment to assist with this as well.
Established language schools are a great way to guarantee students that their time spent learning in their course is not wasted. You can count on these services to deliver quality courses, giving each student a primary level of competence and experience reading, writing, and speaking in Japanese.
Online Resources for Finding Japanese Courses in the City of Melbourne
When it comes to learning in the 21st century, there are many ways students can attain knowledge and learn new skills. As previously discussed, one method is to book a course in a local multi-lingual learning centre, studying in a conventional classroom with a teacher and other classmates. For those who are seeking a sense of community alongside their class experience, this is a great option.
For those students who seek rapid progression in their bi-lingual abilities, however, there are more options available to you. Utilising the web as a resource to discover a private class with a local tutor is an affordable and flexible option for any student wishing to start Japanese lessons quickly, and for those who are looking to increase their level of proficiency rapidly.
Online tutoring marketplaces are by far the best resources open to every student who is on the hunt for a good private tutor. Online tutoring marketplaces allow prospective students at any skill level to find an experienced, qualified tutor for their next class. These classes are often surprisingly affordable, with options available at any budget.
People love utilising these new services because it gives them unprecedented control over their education. You can now choose your teacher based on the merits of their qualifications and experience, as well as reviews left by previous students who have studied with them their class. This is what online tutoring marketplaces were created for, to give students the best chance at a productive and worthwhile educational experience.
Not only that, many tutors that you can find online will be available for a free initial session. Use this opportunity as a chance to ask any questions you may have about their service, and just generally see if you and your tutor are a good fit for private lessons.
Without further ado, here are the best online resources for finding a qualified and experienced private Japanese tutor in Melbourne:
- Superprof: That's us! Superprof connects hundreds of teachers and students every day in Australia. Right now, as this article is written, there are 42 Japanese tutors in Melbourne and the greater metropolitan area. With so many to choose from, you can be guaranteed to find a tutor that is close and convenient, and a match in terms of learning style and ability. Lesson prices range from $20 - $60, so there's a tutoring experience to suit every budget on the Superprof platform.
- TutorFinder: A well established online resource for finding experienced and qualified tutors within Australia. TutorFinder has over 100 Japanese tutors available in the Melbourne area for you to choose from and is relied upon every day by students looking for private online tutoring and private face to face tuition.
Using online tutoring marketplaces is easy. Just jump online and put what you'd like to learn in the search bar alongside your location. In seconds you'll be faced with a wall of tutors available for you to book a first -- often free -- class with. Happy searching!
Our Tips For Learning Japanese Correctly
So you've decided you'd like to learn Japanese, and you've booked your first class. What now?
It shouldn't be understated, learning to speak Japanese isn't going to be a walk in the park, especially for English speakers. According to Unbabel, Japanese is one of the hardest languages for English speakers to learn, coming behind only Mandarin and Arabic.
This is largely because the alphabetic and foundational phonic concepts in the language differ so greatly. Japan's alphabet consists of thousands of unique characters of which many must be learned for the student to even construct basic written sentences.
Even though it might take some years to become adept in Japanese, there's no reason for that to discourage you. After all, nothing of value is ever gained in absence of time and effort.
Without further ado, here are some tips we've collected which will help you learn Japanese correctly:
- Find a conversation partner: This one is a must for anyone who wishes to pick up basic, useful conversational Japanese quickly. By far, the best way to learn any language is by speaking it and hearing it spoken. If you take a class, make a friend and set times for you two to hand out and talk. If you have a native friend, ask them if they wouldn't mind helping you out and organise to meet for coffee to practice.
- Watch Japanese shows with English subtitles: Once you start getting a foothold in the basics, you can utilise subtitles to help you gain further understanding of the language. This will be much harder if you are starting from nothing, but once you've developed some foundational knowledge, you can compare words that you don't recognise with the subtitles and start discovering meaning yourself. What's more, television is a cultural window, so the words, phrases, and sentences you'll pick up are likely highly relevant and useful when it comes to talking to native speakers.
So there you have it, if you're someone considering embarking on the study of the beautiful language that is Japanese in Melbourne, we hope you feel better equipped having read this article.
For tutors teaching Japanese courses Melbourne, and Japanese lessons Melbourne, look no further than Superprof! Search near you in Melbourne today!