What are my strengths as a teacher?
For me teaching is a profession that is highly rewarding, it has a unique blend of strong communication, creativity, ability to think outside the box, as well as being perceptive and adaptive to each student’s individual learning needs. My past students have found sessions to be effective, many being surprised that the content that once stressed them out, became easy to follow! My aim is to help the student to understand the topic, together with suitable practice questions grows their confidence. Teaching for me is not about delivering information, my focus as a teacher is to understand how the information is relevant and how it can be integrated into the student's current sphere of knowledge. To teach effectively I need to understand a student's thinking process, how to make the content relevant to their current knowledge. I develop rapport with my students, I genuinely want to see where they might be stuck and help clarify those areas. This helps students feel comfortable asking questions and tuning into the lessons!
What are tutoring sessions like?
Private sessions are tailored to the individual needs of the students. There are many options available, the most popular option is to progress through the entire curriculum of a subject. Sometimes students need to catch up, sometimes students want to prepare ahead, other times they just want to practice questions that are relevant to where they are at in school. I encourage students to practice relevant problem questions that are important for SACs and exams. During sessions I focus closely on answering techniques, providing students with a logical step by step process to tackle questions.
How are sessions organized?
Sessions are tailored to the specific needs of each individual student. There is no right/wrong approach - it simply depends on what you prefer. I encourage active learning in sessions, which focuses on completing a range of different questions. However depending on the student's subject and preference, tutoring sessions have the following components:
- answering application style questions that are often found in SACs.
- weekly progression through the curriculum (theory) and exercise questions.
- help with homework questions (PS: I don't do their homework, I help them work through it!)
- preparation for tests and SACs.
- preparing for end of year examinations (not to late for 2020 - it's not over yet!).
- a blend of all of the above.
What do I teach?
- VCE Math Methods (Unit 1/2 or Unit 3/4)
- VCE Specialist Maths (Unit 3/4)
- VCE Chemistry (Unit 1/2 or Unit 3/4)
- VCE Biology (Unit 3/4)
- Science (Year 7 - 10)
- Mathematics (Year 7 - 10)
I am flexible and can alternate between subjects, depending on student's need, so it may be more cost effective for you.
I am a friendly, down-to-earth person, who really enjoys teaching mathematics and science. I started tutoring in 2005 (after finishing VCE in 2004), this quickly ignited my passion for teaching. In 2007, I started Academy Plus Education, a tutoring company offering quality teaching, and a useful online resource for students. I enjoyed creating educational material, worksheets, exams, video resources and informative articles to help VCE students achieve their academic goals.
I have been described as a patient, supportive and enthusiastic individual, and a teacher who genuinely cares and commits to every student I work with. I know what it feels like to be completely overwhelmed by a subject, my mission is to help students to feel more confident in their abilities and supported in their learning.
I have seen many students bringing their "most dreaded subject", and have witnessed their transformation from overwhelmed, to more confident, calm(-er), and more in control of their studies! There have been students who completely transformed, and announced that the subject has became their favorite subject!
It is amazing what a little bit of positive support and encouragement can do, and it's one of the reasons why I love doing what I do. I commit to every student and ensure they are gain something valuable from each session. I am up to date with the current VCAA study design (yes, even the 2020 one), this ensures that we are focusing on relevant content.
My background and interests:
Completing my studies in Biomedical Science, Chemical Engineering as well as Secondary Teaching, I have a versatile background in a number of different fields which allows me to support students in their learning. Every student is unique and has their own goals and skills - my aim as a teacher is to support the student that I am working with, so that they can do their absolute best.
By providing a positive environment and catering for the students' needs based on their personality and learning preferences - I have found it very rewarding to work with them and push the limits of what is possible for them! I have many interests including travelling, philosophy, psychology, reading, writing, teaching, business as well as personal development.
I love learning and I am very curious about how things work and aim to integrate this into my teaching style - to ensure that students see the bigger picture. My teaching approach with students has helped many with increasing their confidence in a subject, feeling supported leading to a clear improvement in their marks.
- 15 years of VCE tutoring as of 2020
- Taught at secondary school (VCE Methods, VCE Specialist)
- Tutored at Monash University and Federation University
- Assisted multiple students with a transformation from D's to A's
- Helped students exceed their predicted scores.
- Taught numerous VCE high achieving students.
- Many of my past students have now graduated Medicine, Law, Engineering, Pharmacy!
- Taught students that have achieved perfect study scores (50/50) and exceptional ATAR scores.
- Taught individuals from various selective schools such as Melbourne High, Nossal High School, Mac Robertson, John Monash Science School and various of private schools around Melbourne.
- Written VCE study guides and hundreds of practice exam questions, notes and powerpoint presentations related to the current VCE study course.
- Presented at the VCE Expo about 'Success in VCE' in front of hundreds of VCE students and their parents.
- Taught numerous students online and helped to increase their confidence and grades.
- Lecturer of VCE comprehensive program for Methods, Chemistry and Biology.
- I can work with any student who is open and willing to learn.
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Monash University) 2005-2007
- Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (Monash University) 2008 - 2013
- Graduate Diploma of Secondary Education (ACU) 2015 - 2016
- Worked at Secondary School teaching VCE Methods and VCE Specialist Maths 2017
- I have worked with VCE students on a consistent basis for 15 years!
maths lessons nearby? Here's a selection of other listings you can check out.
Superprof can also help you with trigonometry lessons.
Not quite what you're after? How about chemistry lessons?
Taking other sciences lessons has never been easier!
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$60|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$600|