Are you passionate about MMA and Muay Thai? This ancient art has attracted millions of people and athletes all across the world thanks to its precision, tradition and great physical effort.
No matter if you are looking to get a good workout in or actually trying to compete and become a fighting champion in the future, we can assure you that enrolling in classes will be an amazing experience.
Keep reading to learn more about the different places in the country where you can practice this art and learn some facts about its culture, history and championships.
Muay Thai Clubs in Sydney
Muay Thai is a combat sport, which dates back to the thirteenth century. It is also known as the “science of 8 limbs" since it incorporates strikes using the fists, knees, shins and elbow as well as an element of grappling.
If you live in Sydney and want to start practicing this art, there are plenty of excellent gyms and clubs for you to choose from which include:
- Kings Academy: They are located in Moorebank and have lessons for Kids, Teens & Adults as well as women's only classes.
- SRG: What makes this place attractive is that they are home of Australian Champion Luis Regis and they not only teach the movements to practice it, but they also look to offer their students a complete cultural experience.
- Open Sparring Sydney: They have both Muay Thai and BJJ lessons from beginner to advanced levels as well as open mat sessions.
- Eight Limbs: They have beginners lessons where you can get the basics and foundations of traditional Muay Thai in a controlled and safe environment as well as an all levels class.
- Nitrixx: they are a multidisciplinary academy based in Chullora that offers Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ), Kickboxing and courses for all ages.
- Muay Thai Temple: the owner and head instructor, Phayakorn Kalyaprasit, was born in the province of Phetchabun in Thailand where he learned the basics of this discipline.
- Panza: they offer people of all ages and experience levels the opportunity to learn in a friendly, safe and professional atmosphere.
- Muay Gym Thai Boxing: They have different classes that include technique, teens, pads and sparring and many more.
Click here if you want to know more about Muay Thai in Sydney.
Muay Thai Training in Melbourne
Did you know that Muay Thai is a key component of MMA styles such as the fighting you would see in UFC or Bellator bouts? If you live in Melbourne, here are some of the places where you can potentially train for one of these championships:
- Dynamite: They collaborate the teachings of Muay Chaiya and Muay Korat.
- KT: they specialise in group classes, personal and fighters training using only the skills of pure and authentic Thai kickboxing.
- North Melbourne Boxing & Fitness: Their classes are structured to teach you the skills and fitness used to train and compete in various disciplines.
- Prestige Gym: They specialise in boxing, Muay Thai and kickboxing.
- Melbourne Fight Club: as part of their lessons, they aim to teach you footwork, defensive techniques, punching, and kicking while also developing your confidence.
- Morakot Muay Thai Gym: they advertise themselves as having one of the most experienced faculties in the country.
- Kombat Cardio: They teach fundamental Muay Thai and Kickboxing techniques with an aim to improve physical endurance, technique in striking and kicking.
- Bayside Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Bayside Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is one of the most progressive and competitive BJJ academies in the Bayside area.
Do you want to train in Melbourne?
Muay Thai Clubs in Brisbane
While Muay Thai is now predominantly a sport that is trained all over the world it is still the most popular in Thailand, where it is considered the national discipline.
If you live in Brisbane, here are some places where you can practise:
- Art of Eight: They have a 500m2 facility that includes a large padded floor with a full-size ring, 12 bags, pads and equipment required for lessons.
- Sassom: Their lessons have all the fundamental techniques you need to build a great foundation in Muay Thai.
- Bulldog Gym Brisbane: They have the capacity to run beginners classes, all the way to Fighter’s classes.
- The Fight Centre: all levels are catered to. Beginner lessons are broken up into different skill levels with the more experienced students training separately in the fighter lessons.
- Ironfist: Their Fighters won many State, National, International and World Titles fighting all around the world.
Check out the top lessons in Brisbane.
Muay Thai Training in Adelaide
Did you know that this discipline is quite similar to western boxing? Punches are thrown with a closed fist towards the opponent’s head and body and a lot of the rules are very much alike.
Check out some of the top places to practice in Adelaide:
- Southside Muay Thai: They encourage an ego-free environment, where males and females from all cultures are equally welcome. You can book a free trial before signing up for lessons, and you need to bring a pair of your own gloves, handwraps, a towel (compulsory), a water bottle and clean, comfortable exercise attire.
- Strong Heart Muay Thai: They welcome everyone at all levels and they believe that Muay Thai combined with a healthy lifestyle can help anyone benefit from the physical, mental and emotional challenges we face inside and outside of the ring.
- Young Lions Thaiboxing: based in Adelaide, South Australia they specialize in Muay Thai for everyone from beginners to professional fighters.
- Rikers Gym: all of their lessons involve skipping, stretching, shadow technique, pad and bag work, sparring and clinching drills with a partner followed by strength and conditioning exercises. They offer 3 levels of lessons:
- Grandmaster Leong's Academy: They offer training in 3 styles of Wing Chun, Muay Thai, a range of Wu Shu forms, numerous weapon forms as well as Tai Chi and Chi Kung.
Start training in Adelaide.
Muay Thai Near Me in Perth
- Phon's Centre: this is the oldest and longest-running centre in Australia.
- Pursuit: They have a tailor-made program and you can claim your free 7 day all access pass to try their lessons before enrolling.
- WATBC: it is primarily a competitive spot. They have produced multiple World Champions, Intercontinental Champions, South Pacific Champions, National Champions and State Champions since they opened in 2003.
- Domination: Darren Curovic started promoting this discipline in Perth in 2002. Domination is the prominent event held in Perth and sources competitors from all over the world to compete against our top in Australia.
- Gav's Gym: it is a traditional style facility with a family feel, located South of the river, in Myaree.
- M1FC: The lessons are open to anyone who is willing to learn and are structured so that both beginners and advanced students get a great workout.
- Champions Gym: they specialise in Boxing, Muay Thai and Strength for the complete beginner right the way through to instructor status.
- Pichitchai: this venue was established in 2017 by Thai fighter and trainer Rhino Pichitchai and Australian fighter Rocco Parrello. Lessons are available for children through to adults and catering for a wide range of levels.
Check out the top gyms in Perth.
Muay Thai Clubs in Canberra
- Elements Fitness & Martial Arts: They offer coaching in martial arts, powerlifting, weight lifting, strongman training and gymnastic strength.
- Chopper's: They have combined and enhanced a mixture of traditional Dutch K1, Muay Thai, and authentic styles. These styles may give you a unique formula that inflicts a combat technique that is rapid, explosive and precise.
- Muay U: located at Level 1, 134 – 136 Gladstone Street, Fyshwick, Canberra ACT 2609, this academy is Canbera’s home of Authentic Muay Thai.
- Phoenix Gym: They have 24hr access, a full time, world class facility, and one full access membership that entitles you to coaching and lessons.
- Stockade: The Stockade Training Centre is one of the premier venues in the country. Many Olympic, Commonwealth, and World class athletes have trained and coached here.
- Alliance Training Centre: The club specialises in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ), and MMA, which is supported by specialised Strength and Conditioning.
- Dark Carnival: Dark Carnival is Canberra’s leading facility, offering Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Strength & Conditioning and Personal Training.
- Canberra Mixed Martial Arts: this centre is built and run by Canberra MMA fighters. Their founders and coaches have been fighting for years in MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jistu, olympic wrestling, and more.
Start training in Canberra.
Muay Thai Training with Superprof
If you are not quite convinced about enrolling in a venue to learn how to fight, Superprof is always a great way for you to connect with a personal trainer that can help you reach your goals.
Check out the trainers available in our platform and get ready to become the best Muay Thai fighter!
The platform that connects tutors and students