In Australia, English is by far the most commonly spoken and has been entrenched as the de facto national language since European settlement. English is used in all aspects of our daily lives, from how we communicate to each other to how we work.
English is a compulsory subject throughout all of primary and secondary schools in Australia, making it one of the most important subjects. The subject will contribute to your final ATAR score, so if you want a good score to get into the university and degree of your choice, it's vital you have a good grasp of it.
English is important not only for those who like reading books or writing. Even if you're more interested in mathematics and science - and prefer numbers to letters - you still have to utilise English, for communicating your findings and writing or presenting reports for example.
While the importance of English is undeniable, finding a personal educator that is reputable and engaging can be difficult.
If you need help to brush-up your English, keep reading to find English language tutors in the Australian cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide.
English Tutors in Sydney
If you're interested in improving your English, here are the best options in the metropolitan area of Sydney:
- Mathew Teakle: is a qualified English teacher, with a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Education (English Literature) from the University of New South Wales (UNSW). He has been tutoring since 1998. Mathew offers HSC and IB English tutoring in the Northern suburbs of Sydney.
- Educare Sydney: is an English tuition school in Randwick run by Gabriella Nagata, a HSC English tutor. Gabriella has a Bachelor of Arts majoring in English Literature from the University of Sydney, and a Masters in Applied Linguistics from UNSW, specialising in syllabus and curriculum design. She also has experience marking trial HSC papers and has published HSC study notes.
- Australian Literacy Academy: is a private English tutoring centre that helps children of all levels in the area of literacy: reading, writing, spelling, comprehension, speaking, and listening. They provide tutoring at their Castle Hill centre.
- Exceed Education: provides English and Maths tutoring in Regents Park, Parramatta. Their highly experienced and qualified specialist English teachers are familiar with the requirements of the new English syllabus and courses, NAPLAN, literacy, and are experienced in HSC marking.
English Tutoring in Melbourne
The following are reputable English tutors in Melbourne and its surrounding areas:
- Dr Mark Lopez: is a Melbourne English tutor for VCE, ATAR, SACs and exams. Mark has over 25 years of experience in English tutoring for high school and tertiary students. He has a PhD and has published two study guides. Mark is located in St Kilda West.
- VCE English Language Tutor: is run by Richard, who achieved a perfect study score (50) in VCE English Language, a 99.90 ATAR, and has 5 years experience in tutoring with over 100 students. Richard is also familiar with the VCAA Study Designs.
- Lindsey's English Tutoring: offers English and EAL (English as an Additional Language) tutoring with bilingual teachers who have all achieved a raw study score of 45 and more. Lindsey's provides high quality and affordable tutoring, both in groups and private, with expert knowledge of VCE English texts. Their tutoring centre is located in Melbourne's CBD.
- Lisa's Study Guides: Lisa Tran's English tutors have all achieved study scores of 40+ in English, placing them in the top 9% of Victoria. They have expert knowledge in English and Australian study design. Lisa offers both individual tutoring and groups.
English Tutors in Brisbane
If you would like to study English in the metropolitan area of Brisbane, the following tutors are highly recommended:
- 10/10 Tutoring: is run by Lena Ford, who is a registered, experienced and specialist teacher with 30 years of experience. Lena is a Literacy Consultant and Coach, in both private and State schools committed to improving learning outcomes specific to student needs, targets and goals. She also provides Professional Development services for Pearson Professional Learning. Lena provides both English and Maths tutoring for children and adults in Brisbane South.
- English Tutor Brisbane: Tish Kirkland offers face-to-face general English tutoring and International English Language Testing System (IELTS) preparation training. Tish has a Bachelor of Arts (Education) from the Victoria University of Wellington and a Postgraduate Diploma of Teaching from the Wellington College of Education. She has been teaching English since 2002.
- LSI Education: offers Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and Cambridge Examination preparation courses, as well as more general English as a Second Language (ESL) programmes. LSI can help if you're studying for exams, learning academic English or business English, and more.
- Navitas: can help with general English, academic English, and preparation for the IELTS and Cambridge tests.
English Tutoring in Perth
The best academic instructors in Perth and its surrounding areas to improve your English are:
- Academis: director Morium Khan has 12 years of tuition experience with students attending schools across WA. Academis offers high school English workshops and Maths group sessions in the Western suburbs.
- Perth English Tutor: Bianca offers ATAR English, IELTS and Pearson Test of English (PTE), English K-10, and university tutoring. Bianca provides both one-on-one and group sessions.
- Perth English and Maths Tutoring: David has been teaching English and Maths at secondary schools around Perth for over thirteen years. He has a Bachelor of Education and a Bachelor of Arts, both from the University of Western Australia, and a Masters degree from Murdoch University.
- Dyslexia SPELD Foundation: DSF has a register of qualified specialist tutors who provide individual tutoring for children and adults across Western Australia. The majority of DSF Tutors are located in the Perth metropolitan area, however, DSF does have a number of tutors who work in regional areas too. DSF offers literacy tutoring, clinics, and group programs. They work with children and adults who have learning difficulties, dyslexia, and dysgraphia.
English Tutors in Adelaide
Here are some great English language academics in Adelaide for beginner, intermediate, and advanced students:
- Pathway Tutoring: is run by Mel Booth, who has a Bachelor of Education from Flinders University. He has been a teacher for 23 years and a tutor for three years. He offers at-home one-on-one teaching in both English and Maths.
- English Sense: offers English lessons which are guided by the teaching standards of Cambridge University, and its TEFL qualifications. They provide assist with academic writing for school and university students as well as IELTS and PTE. English Sense offers group lessons and one-on-one.
- The English Language Centre (ELC): is part of the University of Adelaide and offers a range of General and Academic English language programs and study tour programs for international students.
- South Australian College of English (SACE): has a variety of English courses – from General English, Academic English, High School Preparation, Cambridge Exam Preparation, and much more.
English Tutoring on Superprof
Face-to-face, in-person tutoring is no longer the most common way of studying English. Thanks to the increasing use of technology in recent years, language learners no longer have to meet with a tutor in real life. Lots of people all over the world now participate in private online tutoring.
For those who don't want to leave the house, or are tech-savvy and enjoy the flexibility of deciding when and where to study each week depending on their schedule, there are many helpful tutoring sites online.
Some of the advantages of taking private online classes with an English teacher include the following:
- Location and time is not an issue,
- More choice of teachers,
- Tailored, personalised classes
- Dynamic and tech-savvy teachers,
- More affordable.
The wide variety of tutoring sites currently available may be overwhelming and it might be quite a challenge deciding which one to choose. But don't worry, Superprof is here! We highly recommend seeking the guidance of an online or face-to-face English tutor from Superprof.
Why are our English tutors the best? Their English lessons are high quality, engaging, educational, and offered at competitive prices. They are conducted by smart, qualified people who love teaching and want to help others achieve the same success they have.
Superprof tutors offer both online and in-person classes at affordable rates. When searching for an English tutor using our platform, it's highly recommended that students view the various profiles of the private educators so you can decide which one is the best match for their particular needs. Read through each of their bios to find the one which suits your educational requirements at an affordable rate.
The best thing is that all first lessons with tutors are free on Superprof, so you don't have to commit to the first teacher you try. If they're not the right fit for you, you can try someone else.
Start improving your English with a Superprof educator today; you won't regret it!