Do you dream of becoming a movie star? Do you want to have a breakthrough role in a major international TV show?
Or are you passionate about the art of theatre and want to bring out your best dramatic skills onto the stage? Be as it may, becoming an actor is something that many dream of! And now you can bring this dream into reality.
While some people are born with a natural "theatricality" that allows them to be great performers, it is true that becoming a good actor has more to do with learning methods and techniques that will allow you to bring out the best when onstage.
This is where lessons come in: they are where most famous performers have been able to take their natural talent and really thrive on it.
If you live in Australia and want to start taking acting classes, you've come to the right place.
In this article, we will discuss some of the best places to take acting courses and all the different options you have across the country.
Are you ready for the best performance of your life? Keep reading to find out more about drama, performance and where to study!
Acting courses in Sydney
Do you live in Sydney and are hoping to jump into the film, TV or theatre industry in this city?
Luckily for you, Sydney has a wide offer of schools, lessons and teachers that can help you build up your confidence as an actor and start learning new skills.
There are two routes to take when it comes to acting classes: a professional approach and a more amateur approach. Depending on what you want and the type of career that you are looking to develop is the kind of school that you should be looking at.
Some of the schools you can look at for professional acting in Sydney are:
- Sydney Theatre School
- AFTT (Academy of Film Theatre and Television)
- Sydney Actors School
- Sydney Drama School
- The Actors Pulse
- NIDA (National Institute of Dramatic Art)
- Actors Centre Australia
- AFTRS (Australian Film Television and Radio School)
On the other hand, you also have the option of hiring a personal coach or tutor to help you develop your skills in a one-on-one setting.
Our platform has thousands of great coaches all over Australia that can help you reach your goals and learn everything you need to know about tips and tricks. If you want to know more about the options you have for classes in Sydney you can head to our article here.
Find acting classes in Melbourne
Melbourne is a city with a vibrant entertainment and theatre scene. Did you know that it has the most extensive theatre district in the world outside of Broadway and the West End? The East End Theatre District, also known as the theatrical heart of Melbourne is home to great theatre venues that are home to some of the greatest international and independent productions.
If you want to check out some of the best venues in Melbourne, you can head to:
- Her Majesty's Theatre
- Melbourne Theatre Company
- Princess Theatre
- Malthouse Theatre
- Red Stitch Theatre
- Union House
- Regent Theatre
It is then no shock that the community in Melbourne is also one of the most proliferate in the country, with countless schools at your disposal.
Whether you are an aspiring professional actor, looking to get a degree or just want to take a simple class, you can check out all the options available to you in the following schools:
- Victorian College of the Arts
- 16th Street Actor’s Studio
- The Lab
- Film & Television Studio
- The National Theatre Drama School
- Brave Studios
- Justin Lehmann
- Howard Fine Acting
If you want to know more about the scene in Melbourne, you can also head to our article here.
Want to study acting in Perth?
The city of Perth has beautiful beaches and sunny weather but this is not the only thing that this city in Western Australia has to offer. If you are interested in pursuing a career in acting, you will be thrilled to learn that there are a lot of amazing options for you to dip your fit into the world of drama and performance.
There are quite a few communities in Perth with a more laid back approach to performance, as well as other more structured and academic schools that approach it in a more methodic way.
No matter what you are looking for, here are some schools in Perth that you can check out:
- WAAPA: the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts
- Perth Film School
- Nicholson's Academy of Screen Acting
- Perth Academy of Performing Arts
- NIDA: the National Institute of Dramatic Art
If you wish to know more about these spaces in Perth and get a snapshot of the different methods you can explore, you can go to our article here.
Where to find acting courses in Adelaide
Do you live in South Australia's capital city of Adelaide? This city is known for its festivals, incredible food and premium wine regions and there is no doubt that there's always something exciting happening around Adelaide.
The drama scene is no exception to this and they have an active community of people who have created agencies and schools for all levels of expertise and age.
Also, you will see some schools that are specialised on screen and others on stage, a concept that is key for anyone who wants to start learning and becoming a top performer.
Adelaide also has casting agencies that have realized that giving performers lessons and helping them train for roles proves quite effective in castings so you will have it all in a single place.
If you are interested in diving into the drama world in Adelaide, here are some options of schools that you can check out:
- Actors Ink: an agency that offers lessons on the side.
- Adelaide Theatre Academy: this is a theatre focused academy.
- NIDA: located across the country, the National Institute of Dramatic Art is focused on giving children, young people and adults in Adelaide the opportunity to engage in a variety of short courses to unlock their creative potential and build their confidence.
- Type Talent Acting Academy: this school offers classes for children and adults alike and for any level: from beginners, novices to professional performers.
- SA Casting: another casting agency that has the option for people to enroll in their school.
Want to know more about schools in Adelaide? You can head to our article here!
Learn acting in Brisbane
Did you know that performing is a combination of talent and hard work? Like lots of disciplines, performers have to train hard and perfect their skills through formal lessons that can guide them to the greatest performances of their careers.
This is why both screen and stage performers need to get support from acting coaches and schools in order to reach their full potential. In Brisbane you will have a wide offer of both professional and academic courses as well as lessons for kids and youth:
- NIDA: they offer lessons for children and young people (term classes, holiday classes), short courses for adults (beginner, core techniques, Applied and Advanced Techniques, classes for adults).
- TAFE Queensland: TAFE Queensland offers people certificates in from entry-level to bachelors degrees.
- The Warehouse Workshop Screen Acting: They have everything from a showreel course to USA accent lessons, weekly adult classes and youth classes.
- ARC Acting (The Curators): They offer an Actor's Laboratory, Professional Training Ensemble and 1-on-1 Workshops.
- QUT: the Queensland University of Technology offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting.
- The Australian Actors: they advertise themselves as being home to people who have landed great roles in television shows, films and commercials.
- Perform Australia: this school offers acting & musical theatre classes in Brisbane and Canberra.
- Griffith University: another great option if you want to get a Bachelor's Degree in Acting.
If you are looking for courses in Brisbane and want to know more about tips, check out our article here.
Acting courses with Superprof
No matter where you are located, Superprof will be your ally when it comes to lessons and learning new skills with our private tutors.
Our network of teachers and tutors is just one click away and you can connect with them easily to find the coach that best suits your needs.
With both online and in-person lessons, you can find instructors that align with your expectations.
Looking for a private class with a tutor? Want to focus on theatre and drama? Or do you maybe want to study with a puppeteer?
We've got many options for you on our platform! Just make sure to plan a budget, do a thorough check of the tutors' profiles and get ready to start learning the craft of acting with Superprof!
The platform that connects tutors and students