Are you passionate about acting and want to begin taking acting classes? Do you dream of starting a career in film, theatre or television?
If you live in Sydney, Australia and want to kickstart your acting career, you've come to the right place.
In this article, we will go through all the details about the acting community in this city, give you some inspiration through a list of great Australian actors and actresses and share all the best tips to hire a private tutor through Superprof.
Australian film and TV actors that will inspire your acting dreams
Australia has a roster of incredibly talented actors and actresses that have taken centre stage in the most relevant films of recent times, as well as award ceremonies like the Oscars and the Golden Globes.
Most of them have international prestige and fame but they started just like anyone else: in small and independent films in Australia or local TV shows.
If you are looking for some inspiration to kickstart your acting career, you might want to check out some of the movies where these actors and actresses have developed their careers.
- Cate Blanchett: Blanchett is considered one of the most talented actresses in the country. She was born on May 14, 1969, in Ivanhoe, Victoria. She has won many awards throughout her career, including two Academy Awards, three Golden Globe Awards, and three British Academy Film Awards. Some of the films you can see her in are 'The Aviator', 'Blue Jasmine', ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy, ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’, ‘The Talented Mr. Ripley’, Thor: Ragnorak’, ‘Robin Hood’, ‘Cinderella’, the ‘Hobbit’ trilogy, and ‘Babel’.
- Nicole Kidman: Nicole Kidman was born to Australian parents in Honolulu, Hawaii, on June 20, 1967. Her family returned to Sydney, when she was four years old. She studied at the Philip Street Theatre and also attended the Australian Theatre for Young People (ATYP). She has won an Academy Award, two Primetime Emmy Awards, and four Golden Globe Awards. She was listed among the highest-paid actresses in the world in 2006, 2018, and 2019.
- Heath Ledger: Heath Ledger was an Australian actor, photographer, and music video director. He was born in Perth, in the state of Western Australia on April 4, 1979. He started his acting career with roles in many Australian television shows and movies. In 1998, he moved to the United States to further his career. Some of the movies you can find him in are ‘Monster’s Ball’, ’10 Things I Hate About You’, ‘A Knight’s Tale’, ‘The Patriot’, and ‘Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus’. His role as the Joker on 'The Dark Night' earned him posthumously a Golden Globe, an Academy Award, a BAFTA, an Australian Film Institute Award, and a Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award.
- Hugh Jackman: Hugh Jackman was born in Sydney on October 12, 1968. He has multiple awards and nominations, including a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actor for his work in the movie “Les Misérables” (2012).
- Ben Mendelsohn: Mendelsohn was born in Melbourne on April 3, 1969. He became famous for the movie ‘The Year My Voice Broke’. Now, he is better known for ‘Bloodline’, a Netflix series he has starred in since 2015. You can also see his work in movies like ‘Mississippi Ground’, ‘The Dark Knight Rises’, ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’, and ‘Starred Up’.
- Margot Robbie: Margot Robbie was born in Dalby, Queensland, on July 2, 1990. At the beginning of her career, she had roles in several independent movies and also appeared on ‘Neighbours’ between 2008 and 2011. Her career took off after she starred in the Martin Scorsese movie ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ and played one of her most famous roles as Harley Quinn in the 2016 film ‘Suicide Squad’.
- Russell Crowe: he is a New Zealand-born Australian actor born April 7, 1964. You can see him in movies like ‘A Beautiful Mind’, ‘Master of Steel’, ‘Robin Hood’, ‘L.A. Confidential’, ‘Les Miserables’, and ‘American Gangster’.
- Anthony LaPaglia: Anthony LaPaglia was born in Adelaide on January 31, 1959. He began his career as an actor in 1985 and is well-known for his roles as Joe in ‘Empire Records’ and FBI agent Jack Malone in ‘Without a Trace’. He won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor-Television Series Drama.
Do you recognise any of these names? They are for sure the most famous entertainers from the country and an example that Aussie actors and actresses have all it takes to make it big.
Are you the next big star? Keep reading to find out more about taking acting classes in Sydney!
Are you looking for acting classes in Australia?
Acting classes Sydney
Are you interested in joining a theatre company or taking classes in a group setting in Sydney? This city has a vibrant acting scene with lots of great spaces for you to learn new acting methods, join fellow actors and even put on amateur plays.
Check out the following acting schools:
- Screenwise: this Sydney-based acting school is 'overseen by Multi-Award Winning Actress* and Australian Film and TV Legend Denise Roberts (Schapelle, The Moodys, Cliffy, Mrs Biggs, Packed To The Rafters, Blood Brothers, Razzle Dazzle, Always Greener, GP) and is inspired by the tenacious, dedicated and professional nature of the ‘Roberts Method’ for which it is based on.'
- Sydney Theatre School: this school was 'established in 2005 by Managing Director Mark Matthews, the school has trained hundreds of students in the craft of acting and produced over 100 shows including 40+ world-premiere original productions along with dozens of contemporary and classical plays.'
- AFTT (Academy of Film Theatre and Television): this school has 20 years of experience under its belt and 'has helped launch countless careers in film, television and theatre, both in Australia and internationally. AFTT continues to build on this prestige through the creation of a dynamic, skills-based learning environment that offers a full spectrum of creative arts disciplines.'
- Sydney Actors School: this acting school is located at Waterloo Studios which has the added benefit of having great facilities and equipment including a sound stage, cinema, movement studio, training rooms, production offices, postproduction mastering suite, editing suites and animation pods. They offer Advanced Diploma and Diploma acting courses, and their training is for both screen artists beginning their journey and industry practitioners alike.
Are you ready to begin your acting career and break into the industry? Start your drama courses in Brisbane now!
Acting courses Sydney with Superprof
Are you interested in taking drama classes in Sydney with a private tutor? Some people find it easier to reach their goals in a more private setting where they don't feel the pressure of performing in front of lots of people.
This is especially true for beginners who are only just starting to gain confidence and find their own acting style or people who are trying to improve via a very specific method.
If you are looking for a setting where you can learn the basics via one on one time, a private tutor might just be the right option for you.
But, how to get in touch with one? And how do you know he or she will be the right fit for you? We got you.
Our platform has hundreds of private tutors and teachers that are ready to connect with students all over the country and share their best tips and knowledge.
How much does a private acting teacher cost in Sydney? The average hourly rate for acting teachers in this city is $48 dollars.
Still, this rate can go up and down depending on the profile of the teacher, how much acting experience they have, their diplomas and certificates and experience coaching new actors.
It is no shock that a drama school trained actor might charge over $60 dollars while a more amateur teacher would be at around $30 dollars. It all depends on your budget and how you want to spend it.
That's not to say that teachers who charge less money for their lessons are not as professional or devoted as the ones who do. This is why it's super important to have a critical view of the teachers' profiles before committing to acting lessons.
Make sure you read their bios thoroughly and that you ask any questions that you deem necessary. The following list of questions might help you have a good idea of the teacher's knowledge, method and approach to acting classes:
- What is your professional experience as an actor or actress?
- Which acting method do you prefer?
- How do you approach acting classes?
- Are you flexible with online and in-person lessons?
- How much experience do you have teaching acting to people?
- Are you focused on theatre, TV or film acting (screen)?
Once you have the answers to these questions, you will have a better idea of what the teacher is like.
Another piece of advice is to read other students' reviews to see what they actually think about him or her. That way you can have a clearer view of what acting lessons with said teacher are like and what you can expect from them before committing to a course.
Set up a first interview meeting with them to chat about your objectives and how they can best help you reach your goals. You can take it from there, set up a class schedule and start learning all the best acting skills from your personal tutor!
Find the best acting courses in Perth!
The platform that connects tutors and students