I'm a teacher who likes to develop a friendly rapport with her students. Initially, I spend time getting to know what the student (and/or parents/guardian) is aiming to achieve in their tuition. I then move on to establishing the strengths and weaknesses of my student's English skills before I create a plan for her/his tuition. I like to teach a specific discrete topic or skill per session, to gradually develop the student's confidence in using the English language, along with focusing on helping them with their current school work. Initially, I like to familiarise myself with the type and focus of the assessment pieces that the student's English teacher has set and developing resources myself that we will work on to boost the student's ability to tackle their assessment work on their own. I like to encourage students to ask questions during my sessions and to keep a list of queries as they arise between tutoring sessions. I plan my tuition thoroughly but I am very comfortable with taking a session in a different direction if I can see that the student would be better served by an adjusted approach or by focusing on another topic altogether.
I am an Australian secondary school English and History teacher. Having taught in private and state schools in Queensland and at a range of comprehensive schools and alternative teaching provisions in London over the last 24 years I have a long-standing and wide-ranging grasp of the expectations of the highest achievers and the challenges of those who find the subject English to be difficult . I have a particular interest in helping teenagers develop their basic literacy skills; as such, tutoring individuals or teaching small groups of students who require extra support has been the most satisfying element of my career to date. My particular joy is helping students 'break through' whether it be to greater reading fluency, mastery of punctuation use, or improved essay writing style. I am a strong believer in using my English skills and teaching abilities to the benefit of those who may not be achieving to their potential in a mainstream classroom setting.
Selected Professional Roles
* Deputy Head of Centre & English Teacher (Years 10 & 11) and - London East Alternative Provision (school for students excluded from mainstream school)- 2015-2019
* Co-Head of Centre- Pastoral (Deputy Head Teacher Level) & English/Literacy Teacher - Enfield Secondary Tuition Centre- (school for students excluded from mainstream school)- 2011-2013
* Head of Centre & English Teacher- Bowes Road Tuition Centre- (school for students excluded from mainstream school)- 2010-2011
* English Teacher & Head of Year 8- Holland Park Comprehensive School- 2004
* English Teacher & Modern History/Ancient History Coordinator- Forest Lake College- Brisbane- 1998-2000
* English Teacher & Modern History/Ancient History Coordinator- Fairholme College- Toowoomba- 1996-1998
* CELTA (Certificate of English Language Teaching)- 2013- International House (UK)
* Bachelor of Arts (English/History) 1994- University of Queensland
* Postgraduate Diploma of Education 1995- University of Queensland
school english lessons nearby? Here's a selection of other listings you can check out.
Superprof can also help you with writing lessons.
Not quite what you're after? How about year 12 exam preparation lessons?
Taking literacy lessons has never been easier!
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$40|