I try to make my lessons relevant to the real world. I do this my using examples from my extensive professional IT experience. I like using group learning and partnering in the classroom, as this is often the way that the "real world" works and students seem to respond to sharing their insights and skills. Coupled with this however, I use individual assessment, so that I can monitor individual student's understanding and target those who need additional help and remediation.
I am a qualified secondary teacher. I am also a qualified IT professional with over 25 years in the field across a number of disciplines including coding, systems analysis, data administration and database design, IT security and IT auditing. I have worked for major companies including HBF, IBM GSA, Proxima and BankWest.
1. Whilst at Leeming Senior High School, I taught Business Managment and IT to years 7-12. I utilized my extensive commercial IT and business experience to develop relevant examples and case studies, to add “real life experience.
2. Further, whilst at Leeming Senior High School, I also taught Law and Criminal Investigations to Year 9 students, examining such topics as forensics, the Australian courts structure and jurisdiction, and Australian laws and government.
3. Also, at Leeming Senior High School, I taught Game Design to Year 8, utilizing Gamemaker 8.1.
4. Whilst at Mazenod, I taught Digital Technologies to Years 7 - 10 and used my commercial IT experience to present actual commercial pertinent examples of the material discussed in the courses material, adding relevance to the theoretical topics studied. I gave actual accounts of issues faced in IT environments to add gravitas to the material being studied including hacking, backup and recovery strategies, security controls and separation of duties.
5. At Mazenod, I facilitated lessons where Year 7 students used Scratch to create a portfolio of simple game applications.
6. At Mazenod, I facilitated students using Photoshop to manipulate images to meet specific design criteria.
7. At Mazenod, I have assisted Year 8 students to design and create their own games in the Gamemaker 8.1 application.
8. At Mazenod, I have introduced the Python Programming Language to Year 9 students and had them create simple Python programs to meet specific design specifications.
9. At Mazenod, I have facilitated Year 10 students investigating the role of hardware and software in managing, controlling and securing the movement of and access to data in networked digital systems; considering real world issues and proposing solutions to meet specific threats and scenarios.I have used my commercial IT Auditing experience to present specific scenarios based on actual events, to give the Year 10 students exposure to “real life” scenarios where they can apply the knowledge learned in the classroom to analyse the incidents outlined, investigate remediation options and make recommendations to negate the issues.
10. At Mazenod, I have also introduced year 10 students to MIT’s AppInventor package and facilitated the completion of a series of introductory tutorials and exercises.
11. Also at Mazenod, I have taught Religious Education to Year 8, examining issues such as the history of the Israelites, history of the Catholic Church and the New Covenant of Jesus, Creation, the Sacraments, the teenage body and issues concerned with “body image” and self-acceptance.
basic computer lessons nearby? Here's a selection of other listings you can check out.
Superprof can also help you with computer programming lessons.
Not quite what you're after? How about python lessons?
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$25||Not available|